SOLVED: Problem with Asus Prime X299-A UEFI BIOS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 5th 18, 04:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

Default SOLVED: Problem with Asus Prime X299-A UEFI BIOS

I'll post this even though I'm not convinced anybody who can use the
info will ever find it here. It's just that I've received so much good
info in this newsgroup over the years (primarily from Paul) that I want
to give back if I can.

My problem was that I'd installed three versions of Win10 on my new
Prime X299-A setup and when I'd choose something other than my default
OS using F8, all the boot options (OSs and optical drive) would get
scrambled in UEFI BIOS. Once I'd picked an alternative OS using F8, I
never could be sure exactly what OS I'd get upon reboot. (I don't use
Boot Manager, want never to see it.)

I explained this problem today to a tech via the Asus website chat
feature and this is how he replied:

This should do it:

1. Disconnect all the other drives from the unit leaving only the main
boot drive.
2. Go to BIOS and under boot then go to OS type and set it as Windows OS.
3. Disable Launch CSM.
4. Save and Exit the and this should lock it as the boot device.

After this you can add back the other drives and try the F8 option and
see if it fixes the issue.

Yes, I had to do a little investigative digging to find a way to set OS
type as Windows OS, cuz the option wasn't exactly where he said it would
be, but that's OK. Bottom line is that this worked: Now I can pick the
OS I want by using F8 without worry.

And the takeaway is that Asus Tech Support came through for me on the
first try. Yay!

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

UPDATE: My new Asus Prime X299-A build Bill Anderson Asus Motherboards 2 June 28th 18 06:28 PM
UEFI vs BIOS Alek Trishan[_2_] General 0 March 3rd 14 11:41 PM
X58 and UEFI bios's Jim Asus Motherboards 2 March 8th 11 12:34 AM
X58 and UEFI bios's Jim Gigabyte Motherboards 0 March 7th 11 03:47 PM
OpenGL failed to initialize -- Problem Solved!!! well kind of solved. Jose Jiminez Nvidia Videocards 5 January 13th 04 12:51 PM