Can't make audio CD containing MP3s

Old June 16th 11, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Noik

Default Can't make audio CD containing MP3s

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:26:51 -0400, "Rhino"
wrote:

That *is* a bit tricky. Manufacturers generally don't put their
brand on media, and brands generally buy from several manufacturers.
But stay away from Memorex. I really do believe that they buy the
dregs that didn't meet the specs of other brands.

I don't remember seeing ANY of the different recommended brands listed above
in my local stores but I could look around; maybe I'll get lucky. But it
seems like a crapshoot. After all, aren't most of the house brands that you
buy at places like Staples actually made by a major manufacturer and the
store then just puts its house brand on it?

Bingo. That's what I was talking about above.

So maybe the Staples CD-RWs I
have _are_ one of the recommended brands for this drive. Or not.

I would guess that they probably are. You should have software that
will tell you the manufacturer (CD info, something like that). But,
you can't tell until you get them home. Well, that will tell you who
made the die used to press the disks, but not necessarily who made the
disk. But that's the best you can do.

The stores,
of course, are sworn not to tell you what brand you are really buying....

I doubt that that's true. But there's really no way of knowing
unless you were involved in buying the disks from the manufacturer (or
a middelman). Even then, I remember buying a spindle from a major
brand, and half were from one manufacturer, and half from another.
Old June 17th 11, 08:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Kirk Bubul[_2_]

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 18:09:28 -0400, Noik wrote:
- Snip -
The stores,
of course, are sworn not to tell you what brand you are really buying....

I doubt that that's true. But there's really no way of knowing
unless you were involved in buying the disks from the manufacturer (or
a middelman). Even then, I remember buying a spindle from a major
brand, and half were from one manufacturer, and half from another.

I order mine from SuperMediaStore.com. Generally free shipping. And
they promise that their Taiyo Yuden disks are genuine. I've ordered
both CDRs and DVDs from them without problems.
Old July 13th 11, 05:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Rhino wrote:

... I've never been able to get the DMA to work on this
burner although I've got a question in to LiteOn about that; maybe they'll
have a solution. Burners are pretty cheap these days....

You need to fix the dma. Here's how with winxp (and I believe similarly
with other Windows):

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager

1.Open Device Manager.
2.Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of
controllers and channels.
3.Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is
connected,
select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

4.In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if
Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."

If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the
current
transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That
is:

Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and
click OK.

Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if
Available.