USB/win98 help again.

Old January 13th 05, 02:47 PM
Mark Dunn

Default USB/win98 help again.

Help again! I get an IRQ resource conflict with a new PCI USB card (with the
printer) and removing unused COM ports in Device Manager safe mode doesn't
help. When trying to load the drivers, 'add new hardware' wizard can't find
a bunch of .inf files and won't look anywhere else but on the Win98 CD which
doesn't have them, even though genuine. I can't get it to look at the
usb.cab file which is supposed to contain them even though I down;loaded it
onto a floppy. The driver CD with the card doesn,t seem to help, and neither
does just installing the appropriate .exe from it. Can someone help? I hate
to throw away a handy device. Thanks.

Old January 13th 05, 04:42 PM
Tom Clydesdale

I'm not sure of the specific problems but Win98SE supposedly corrected the
USB shortcomings of Win98 (&Win95). Can you update?

Old January 13th 05, 05:33 PM
Mark Dunn

I have a Win98 CD with 'second edition' in smallish print. But when prompted
to update, I eventually get 'You cannot update from this disk. You need to
upgrade.' Do I need to update the BIOS?

Old January 13th 05, 07:19 PM
Ben Myers

As a rule, to go from Windows 95 to Windows 98, one needs a Windows 98 upgrade
version. The Windows 98SE CD you have is suitable for a clean install from
scratch. There are exceptions and there are ways to install Win 98SE to replace
Windows 95, but I am not well enough versed to explain how to do it.

No BIOS upgrade is needed. The BIOS has nothing to do with this problem.

.... Ben Myers

Old January 13th 05, 08:03 PM
Mark Dunn

Sorry, I didn't explain I already have win98. I managed to get the missing
sys files installed from downloads but it caused a Wndows protection error
and I became sore afraid. So after 8 hours trying it's going back unless
there's a magician out there.

Old January 13th 05, 09:17 PM
Quaoar

Mark Dunn wrote:
Help again! I get an IRQ resource conflict with a new PCI USB card
(with the printer) and removing unused COM ports in Device Manager
safe mode doesn't help. When trying to load the drivers, 'add new
hardware' wizard can't find a bunch of .inf files and won't look
anywhere else but on the Win98 CD which doesn't have them, even
though genuine. I can't get it to look at the usb.cab file which is
supposed to contain them even though I down;loaded it onto a floppy.
The driver CD with the card doesn,t seem to help, and neither does
just installing the appropriate .exe from it. Can someone help? I
hate to throw away a handy device. Thanks.

Try the install again by first booting to safe mode and removing all
references to the card, if any exist, or any unknown devices in device
manager. Shut down, remove the card, boot again, and now install the
driver if you can. If the driver installs, then shut down, install the
card, and then it should be identified properly on the next boot. Take
a look for a readme.txt or some other file in the driver package to see
how they recommend the installation. In many cases, Win98 does plug and
play OK if the drivers are installed first before the OS sees the device
the first time. This is the typical requirement for devices like USB
that the OS does not really support all that well.

Old January 14th 05, 12:29 PM
Mark Dunn

No dice. I still get the IRQ conflict, and a wondows protection error. I
guess my computer's just too thick. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Old January 14th 05, 04:06 PM
Fireclown

Mark,

It seems to me that you have two problems. The first is that first
edition Win98 doesn't support USB. The solution is to upgrade to Win98SE
or later. The second problem is that you need to juggle your IRQs. I
believe the solution for this is to chose a PCI slot which doesn't share
an IRQ with any other device. Your motherboard manual may help. Avoid
any slots which share resources with other slots containing things like
a soundblaster card or your video card. Such devices often don't want to
share.

Fireclown

Old January 14th 05, 04:48 PM
Mark Dunn

I'm told the CD I have is for a clean install which I don't know how to do.
I get an IRQ conflict on both available PCI slots.