SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

Old July 9th 05, 08:27 PM
Son Of Sheep.

Default SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about that as we
are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet

But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
sounds IDEAL.

I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
now.

Thanks for any info.

Old July 9th 05, 10:11 PM
Rod Speed

Son Of Sheep. sheep.com.au wrote

SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

Nope, you wouldnt be able to pick it in a proper
double blind trial without using a benchmark.

I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about
that as we are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet

But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness
of your computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

Nope. Command queing isnt even that useful with normal desktop systems.

Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system
grind toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

Command queing wont help with that situation at all.

Its much better to organise your system so you dont need to copy files.
A single partition and one physical drive eliminates the need to copy files.

Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system.
An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver sounds IDEAL.

I never want to see an Hour glass or
my system slow down like it does now.

The best approach is a single large physical drive with just
one partition so you dont need to copy files around at all.

Old July 9th 05, 11:50 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Son Of Sheep." sheep.com.au wrote in message
SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs.

It's not. It's one of the additions in SATA-II

A SATA II drive doesn't necessarily be 3Gb/s.

Not to fussed about that as we
are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet

Actually we do with some SCSI drives which means the (S)ATA ones are on
the way. With SATA's bigger overhead the transfer limits may be similar
for ATA and SATA.

But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

Of course not.
How on earth will delaying transfers make anything go smoother.

Old July 10th 05, 03:12 AM
J. Clarke

Son Of Sheep. sheep.com.au wrote:

SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs. Not to fussed about that as we
are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet

But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

Whoa. Stop. Something is wrong if you are running any current operating
system and that is happening. I don't experience that even on the dog-slow
4200 RPM drive on my laptop under XP. As I'm typing this I'm copying my
whole Windows folder to a temp file and at the same time watching an HDTV
recording (not recorded on the same drive--the HD is on a server).

First thing to check is to make sure that DMA is turned on on all
drives--for XP the procedure is described at
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx. Next, once
DMA is on, make sure you have enough RAM. Right click on the taskbar and
pick "task manager", then "performance" and watch the "Commit charge". If
it's more than the "Physical memory" while you're doing your normal stuff
then you need more RAM in the machine. If you've got the RAM maxed and
you're still paging heavily then put in a separate disk specfically for the
swapfile--if that is the case though then you really need a 64-bit machine
that can hold a serious amount of RAM (not all 64-bit motherboards allow
more RAM than do 32-bit, even though the processors can handle vastly more,
so make sure you get one that can).

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old July 11th 05, 10:21 AM
Ron Reaugh

"Son Of Sheep." sheep.com.au wrote in message

SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ???

I know the speed of SATA 2 is 300mbs.

That's the peak burst rate of the interface and has little to do with the
speed of the drive itself.

Not to fussed about that as we
are not even using the ATA 100 full bandwitdth yet

But i am interested on what effects NCQ has on responsivness of your
computer system. Will it make it much smoother.

Nope, it'll only contribute significantly to performance in saturated
server I/O.

Example coying a file and doinf somthing. That make my system grind
toa halt. Still can use it but much easier to leave it and wait.

Same with NCQ.

Iam waiting to build a new 64 bit system. An Amd X2 with SATA 2 driver
sounds IDEAL.

I never want to see an Hour glass or my system slow down like it does
now.

SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ??? Son Of Sheep. Overclocking AMD Processors 3 July 21st 05 02:31 PM
SATA 2 Native Command Cueing and Multi Tasking. Alot better ??? Son Of Sheep. Homebuilt PC's 0 July 9th 05 08:28 PM
SATA II Harddisks ? Skybuck Flying General 0 July 4th 05 12:38 AM
SATA Raid0 on Intel chipset RoS Intel 2 May 3rd 05 03:36 AM
GA-8KNXP, how to configure BIOS for SATA? John Ward Gigabyte Motherboards 20 October 6th 03 07:42 AM