mini-pci wireless card(s) for Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop

Old June 16th 06, 02:58 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless

Default mini-pci wireless card(s) for Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop running Windows XP. It has an Dell
Truemobile 1300 internal mini-pci wifi card. This card works okay but
it seems flaky at times and will drop the signal for seemingly no
reason.

When I purchased the computer a few years ago I had the choice of
getting either the 1300 or the 1400 wifi card and I got the 1300, it
was slightly cheaper. After that, I had uneven wireless performance,
sometimes pretty good, sometimes it would just die. On a Dell message
board, some claimed the 1300 was a lemon and others said it was fine.
1400 owners seemed happier with their cards.

I've updated drivers for the 1300 and it works okay but still loses its
network connections sometimes. At home there are three computers that
share a Netgear wireless router. One is a desktop computer that has an
external usb wireless device and it always works great, never any
drops. I could get one of those but I only have two usb ports and
don't want to use a hub for this.

So I thought about getting a 1400 wifi card if I could find one for the
right price. So far I haven't found one, but Dell has a lot of
different mini-pci wifi cards. I found a Dell Truemobile 1470 wifi
card for sale, the seller claims it is compatible with my laptop even
though Dell doesn't claim this on their web site.

Are all of the Dell mini-pci wifi cards basically interchangeable and
just need different drivers? I don't want to throw good money after
bad. Heck, I'd be happy to keep the wifi card I have if I could just
make it work more reliably and a little faster.

Thanks for any help you can give!

--
David Swanger

Old June 16th 06, 03:42 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless

On 16 Jun 2006 06:58:38 -0700, "swangdb" wrote in
. com:

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop running Windows XP. It has an Dell
Truemobile 1300 internal mini-pci wifi card. This card works okay but
it seems flaky at times and will drop the signal for seemingly no
reason.

Check for possible interference -- see Fast Fixes below.

When I purchased the computer a few years ago I had the choice of
getting either the 1300 or the 1400 wifi card and I got the 1300, it
was slightly cheaper. After that, I had uneven wireless performance,
sometimes pretty good, sometimes it would just die. On a Dell message
board, some claimed the 1300 was a lemon and others said it was fine.
1400 owners seemed happier with their cards.

TrueMobile 1300: Broadcom BCM4306 reference design
TrueMobile 1400: Broadcom BCM4309 reference design

I've updated drivers for the 1300 and it works okay but still loses its
network connections sometimes. At home there are three computers that
share a Netgear wireless router. One is a desktop computer that has an
external usb wireless device and it always works great, never any
drops. I could get one of those but I only have two usb ports and
don't want to use a hub for this.

So I thought about getting a 1400 wifi card if I could find one for the
right price. So far I haven't found one, but Dell has a lot of
different mini-pci wifi cards. I found a Dell Truemobile 1470 wifi
card for sale, the seller claims it is compatible with my laptop even
though Dell doesn't claim this on their web site.

TrueMobile 1470: Broadcom BCM4318 reference design

1470 should be better than the earlier models, but I personally prefer:

* Atheros AR5004G
* Intel 2200BG

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: http://Wireless.wikia.com
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi
Old June 17th 06, 02:43 AM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless

"swangdb" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop running Windows XP. It has an Dell
Truemobile 1300 internal mini-pci wifi card. This card works okay but
it seems flaky at times and will drop the signal for seemingly no
reason.

Replace it with either an Intel 2200 or 2915 a/b/g mini-pci card.

Old June 17th 06, 01:02 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless

S.Lewis wrote:
"swangdb" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop running Windows XP. It has an Dell
Truemobile 1300 internal mini-pci wifi card. This card works okay but
it seems flaky at times and will drop the signal for seemingly no
reason.

Replace it with either an Intel 2200 or 2915 a/b/g mini-pci card.

No. Replace with anything except an Intel.
Old June 17th 06, 02:10 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless

Jerry Park wrote:
S.Lewis wrote:
"swangdb" wrote:
I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop running Windows XP. It has an Dell
Truemobile 1300 internal mini-pci wifi card. This card works okay but
it seems flaky at times and will drop the signal for seemingly no
reason.

Replace it with either an Intel 2200 or 2915 a/b/g mini-pci card.

No. Replace with anything except an Intel.

Add my vote for the Intel 2200BG card. Much better drivers, and I've
never noticed the issues they are rumored to have.
Old June 17th 06, 02:41 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:02:28 -0500, Jerry Park wrote
in :

S.Lewis wrote:
"swangdb" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop running Windows XP. It has an Dell
Truemobile 1300 internal mini-pci wifi card. This card works okay but
it seems flaky at times and will drop the signal for seemingly no
reason.

Replace it with either an Intel 2200 or 2915 a/b/g mini-pci card.

No. Replace with anything except an Intel.

Why would you say that? Intel 2200BG is a very good card.

Old June 17th 06, 02:51 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:10:32 -0400, William P.N. Smith
wrote in
:

Jerry Park wrote:
S.Lewis wrote:
"swangdb" wrote:
I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop running Windows XP. It has an Dell
Truemobile 1300 internal mini-pci wifi card. This card works okay but
it seems flaky at times and will drop the signal for seemingly no
reason.

Replace it with either an Intel 2200 or 2915 a/b/g mini-pci card.

No. Replace with anything except an Intel.

Add my vote for the Intel 2200BG card. Much better drivers, and I've
never noticed the issues they are rumored to have.

Even the best products will get a certain amount of negative feedback --
there are people that will blame the product even when it's their own
fault -- so the more popular the product, the more negative feedback
there will be, and the Intel 2200BG is a very popular card. Thus it's
important to weigh the relative amounts of positive and negative
feedback, as well as the kind of negative feedback.

For example, see
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16833106221.
Most of the votes are glowing. The one bad review was from someone that
couldn't get it to work, probably the result of a computer BIOS lock;
i.e., not the fault of the Intel card. The only other review at less
than 5 stars is probably WEP (yuk!) cockpit error, since the Intel
software does work properly.

Old June 17th 06, 03:26 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless

John Navas wrote:
On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:02:28 -0500, Jerry Park wrote
in :

S.Lewis wrote:

"swangdb" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop running Windows XP. It has an Dell
Truemobile 1300 internal mini-pci wifi card. This card works okay but
it seems flaky at times and will drop the signal for seemingly no
reason.

Replace it with either an Intel 2200 or 2915 a/b/g mini-pci card.

No. Replace with anything except an Intel.

Why would you say that? Intel 2200BG is a very good card.

I would say that because I have an Intel2915abg (same drivers as the
2200bg). It has connectivity issues. The connection speed varies wildly
and disconnects when it drops to 1mbps. The transmit power settings
can't be set permanently. That is, what ever you set it at changes back
to about 40% each time the card is restarted.

Worked with that card over 6 months trying to get a stable connection.
Tried every new Intel driver for the card. Intel never addressed the
driver problems. I still have the card. Makes a good bookmark, but
doesn't make a good wireless card.

All other cards I have ever used work well. Currently using an Atheros
card which works extremely well.

The Intel cards really do have problems. But, as you note, many people
are happy with them anyway. Thats fine. But doesn't make for a
recommendation.
Old June 17th 06, 04:33 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.internet.wireless

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:26:05 -0500, Jerry Park wrote
in :

John Navas wrote:

Why would you say that? Intel 2200BG is a very good card.

I would say that because I have an Intel2915abg (same drivers as the
2200bg).

It's nonetheless a *different* card.

It has connectivity issues. The connection speed varies wildly
and disconnects when it drops to 1mbps.

1. Transmit speed is set by the access point (not the card) as a
function of error rate. You're probably getting a lot of errors.
2. Interference may be the source of the problem (causing errors).
3. Have you looked at the Statistics in the Intel software?
4. The card may be defective.

The transmit power settings
can't be set permanently. That is, what ever you set it at changes back
to about 40% each time the card is restarted.

Why would you want to set the transmit power? That's usually only an
issue in ad hoc mode.

Worked with that card over 6 months trying to get a stable connection.
Tried every new Intel driver for the card. Intel never addressed the
driver problems. I still have the card. Makes a good bookmark, but
doesn't make a good wireless card.

What specific driver problems?

All other cards I have ever used work well. Currently using an Atheros
card which works extremely well.

Atheros (AR5004G) is my favorite, but I also like Intel.

The Intel cards really do have problems.

What other specific problems? I find that Intel cards work quite well
in general.

But, as you note, many people
are happy with them anyway. Thats fine. But doesn't make for a
recommendation.

Fair enough, but you went well beyond that, based on only one bad
experience that might be a sample defect, or not even the fault of the
card, and it was a different card in any event.