New WiFi mini-pci card compatibility?

Old January 25th 06, 06:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default New WiFi mini-pci card compatibility?

I have a neighbor who is planning on replacing his defective WiFi mini-
PCI card with a new Intel 2200BG wireless card. The Intel info says it is
designed to work with Centrino Mobile technology. It does not indicate it
is limited to only Centrino products, however.

My question: Will this card work with his Inspiron 2200 that has a
Celeron processor?

Ed
Old January 25th 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Ed" wrote in message
. 192.196...

I have a neighbor who is planning on replacing his defective WiFi mini-
PCI card with a new Intel 2200BG wireless card. The Intel info says it
is
designed to work with Centrino Mobile technology. It does not indicate it
is limited to only Centrino products, however.

My question: Will this card work with his Inspiron 2200 that has a
Celeron processor?

Ed

Sure. Centrino is just a stupid marketing buzzword.

Old January 25th 06, 06:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Ed wrote:
I have a neighbor who is planning on replacing his defective WiFi mini-
PCI card with a new Intel 2200BG wireless card. The Intel info says it is
designed to work with Centrino Mobile technology. It does not indicate it
is limited to only Centrino products, however.

My question: Will this card work with his Inspiron 2200 that has a
Celeron processor?

Ed

Centrino is just a marketing term. The card will work in the Inspiron 2200.

Unfortunately, Intel's cards are not a good choice due to driver
problems which Intel won't fix.

Suggest you recommend some other card (any other card).
Old January 25th 06, 07:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Jerry Park" wrote in message
Ed wrote:
I have a neighbor who is planning on replacing his defective WiFi
mini-
PCI card with a new Intel 2200BG wireless card. The Intel info says it
is designed to work with Centrino Mobile technology. It does not
indicate it is limited to only Centrino products, however.

My question: Will this card work with his Inspiron 2200 that has a
Celeron processor?

Ed

Centrino is just a marketing term. The card will work in the Inspiron
2200.

Unfortunately, Intel's cards are not a good choice due to driver problems
which Intel won't fix.

Suggest you recommend some other card (any other card).

Keep in mind that this is his opinion. I personally have had excellent
experience with the Intel card (including the one in the machine on which I
am typing this).

Tom

Old January 25th 06, 07:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Jerry Park wrote:
Ed wrote:

I have a neighbor who is planning on replacing his defective WiFi
mini-
PCI card with a new Intel 2200BG wireless card. The Intel info says
it is designed to work with Centrino Mobile technology. It does not
indicate it is limited to only Centrino products, however.

My question: Will this card work with his Inspiron 2200 that has a
Celeron processor?

Ed

Centrino is just a marketing term. The card will work in the Inspiron 2200.

Unfortunately, Intel's cards are not a good choice due to driver
problems which Intel won't fix.

Suggest you recommend some other card (any other card).

The only time I've had trouble with my 2200BG was in Gentoo Linux
(although it works well in Fedora). In Windows the card works fine, and
the range is very reasonable surpasses my older 5V Orinoco card.
Old January 25th 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thanks to all for the response. We'll go ahead with the new Intel card,
then.

Ed
Old January 26th 06, 01:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Ed" wrote in message
. 192.196...

Thanks to all for the response. We'll go ahead with the new Intel card,
then.

Ed

The 2915 b/g has worked well for me as well, fwiw......