Favorite Cheap Slot A mobo?

Old November 15th 03, 05:52 AM
user

Default Favorite Cheap Slot A mobo?

http://www.pcwave.com/prod-m825luv71.asp $42 (integrated video card,
boss wants to recycle PC133 memory and likes this one)

http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7VM2.htm $43 (integrated video,
boss wants to recycle PC133 memory and likes this one too)

Never heard of ASRock...

Right now we have a sign shop with three K6-2/400 or 450 machines
running windows 98. All have 256mb of PC 133 DRAM (2x128mb's) They are
slow. The boss found a deal on three used AMD Duron 850's ($10 each) and
would like to upgrade us, as cheap as possible. These two low end boards
seem to be good choices because all the other stuff can then be moved to
the new board. The boss actually thought we were going to be able to put
the Durons in a Super Socket 7 board...
While I'd like better, I'll take what I can get. Any other
recommendations? The board must take PC133 memory and have integrated
video (as our present boards do) because he's not going to spring for
video cards either!
Thanks.

Old November 15th 03, 03:09 PM
Ben Pope

user wrote:
http://www.pcwave.com/prod-m825luv71.asp $42 (integrated video card,
boss wants to recycle PC133 memory and likes this one)

http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7VM2.htm $43 (integrated video,
boss wants to recycle PC133 memory and likes this one too)

Never heard of ASRock...

It's the cheap brand from Asus.

Ben

Old November 15th 03, 03:32 PM
Buffalo

An ECS K7S5a Pro from NewEgg for $40. That includes the shipping and
handling.
It will take either SDram or DDR, but only one or the other.
It also has USB 2.0 and will take cpu's up to an XP2600+ (266MHz, not
333MHz).
It has built in LAN and Sound and 4 USB ports.
It does not include built in video.
One note though, this motherboard seems to require a stronger
PowerSupplyUnit than other MotherBoards.

Old November 15th 03, 03:35 PM
Buffalo

"Buffalo" wrote in message
An ECS K7S5a Pro from NewEgg for $40. That includes the shipping and
handling.
It will take either SDram or DDR, but only one or the other.
It also has USB 2.0 and will take cpu's up to an XP2600+ (266MHz, not
333MHz).
It has built in LAN and Sound and 4 USB ports.
It does not include built in video.
One note though, this motherboard seems to require a stronger
PowerSupplyUnit than other MotherBoards.

Sorry, I missed the part about the motherboard needing to have built in
video. :-(

Old November 15th 03, 04:06 PM
user

I liked the ECS @ newegg as well. As I said, it is a very lean
operation. I'm just glad to get a little raise and keep my job.
When I was hired by this company in 1997, they had just purchased some
AST machines @ Wal-Mart with AMD K5 100's and 133's. By 1999 these
machines had developed major problems. They were replaced by locally
assembled machines, that now despairately need to be upgraded.
ACRocks is Asus cheaper line? This might be OK, I'll have too see the
warranty. I guess in this price range one will end up with Sis chipsets
and not VIA, is that a bad thing?

Old November 15th 03, 05:16 PM
Buffalo

I have a SIS 735 chipset in mine (XP2100+ running Win98SE) and it works just
fine.

Once again, the K7S5a mb does not have a built in video adapter.

The M285LU V 7.1 A mb you mentioned only uses DDR ram, according to the
link you provided.
"Memory

-Two 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets for 2.5V DDR SDRAM (DDR266/200)
.. Maximum: 1GB (Unbuffered Memory)"

The K7VM2 mb can use either one.

Old November 21st 03, 07:54 PM
SPS 700

I have two of the ASRock K7VM2 motherboards. In fact I am posting on one
now. They are a good choice for what you need them for. I have even
overclocked mine. The FSB on one is 166 the other 150. I have them on for
about 15hrs a day & they extremely stable. Mine are running XP1400 CPU's.
They are refurbs I bought from Newegg for $23.00 apiece. Couldn't be happier
with them.