Optical better than non-optical?

Old April 12th 04, 01:52 AM
Billy_Bat

Default Optical better than non-optical?

I felt bad when I paid $59.99 for my MS IntelliMouse Explorer, back in '98.
I am still using it today. Now I only clean mouse balls at other peoples
houses.

--

Good Luck!
BB

"Last Boy Scout" wrote in message
news
I have had a Microsoft Optical mouse for over 2 years.

Normally within 6 months a regular mouse would give me problems and
have to be constantly cleaned or replaced.

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:02:38 +0100, Piotr Makley
wrote:

"E2E t-bot BT"
wrote:

I am still using a corded mouse (logitech wheelmouse).

I would like to get a better mouse which has at least as good
precision, responsiveness, accuracy, etc.

Would an optical mouse be better on all counts?

What about a cordless mouse. Are they poor performers? What
about a Bluetooth connection - is that good. Is it pricey.

Are there any web sites which discuss this. Google is no help
to me.

Assuming both are cord-attached then is an optical mouse is
inherently better than a non-optical mouse?

Old April 12th 04, 05:40 AM
Larc

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:52:17 -0400, "Billy_Bat"
wrote:

| Now I only clean mouse balls at other peoples
| houses.

I'm tempted almost beyond belief, but I wouldn't touch that line with
a ten-foot pole! ;-)

Larc

Old May 19th 04, 01:48 AM
kony

On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:17:58 -0400, Trent©
wrote:

On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:12:28 GMT, kony wrote:

However, a hard-core gamer will probably want a
corded mouse, Logitech MX300, 310, 500, 510, do not suffer from the slight
lag inherent to ALL cordless mice, even Logitech's more expensive MX700
(though if you're right-handed and not an avid gamer the MX700 is a nice
mouse though a bit pricey).

I've installed many cordless mice with no lag whatsoever. And they're
just generic.

Maybe you weren't trying them in situations where the difference would be
noticable? The lag isn't very long, could be overlooked if not directly
comparing two "good" mice.
Old May 19th 04, 10:46 PM
Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 19 May 2004 10:29:16 +0100, Bernard Peek put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Ugh, brings back bad memorires of using a Sun
Workstation with an optical mouse and a special
glass/plastic/metal "mouse pad" with grid lines. What a
pain to keep clean so that the mouse would track
properly.

Those were made by Mouse Systems, I acquired a rigid metal mouse mat
made by Sun and took my mouse and mat with me between jobs.

I'm still using a serial optical Mouse Systems mouse which I obtained
secondhand approx 10 years ago. I don't have any problem with the mat
getting dirty, but the metal grid is starting to wear out. Anybody
have a spare? BTW, I have replaced the felt pads at least twice in
that time.

- Franc Zabkar