3COM Ethernet is "good" - huh?

Old September 13th 03, 01:50 PM
Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

Default 3COM Ethernet is "good" - huh?

Maybe it's the "tolerance" of the components they use during assembly. There
are 20% resistors, 10% resistors, 1% resistors etc. The closer tolerance
components cost more and hold their ratings better.

"Vance Roos" wrote in message
Malke wrote:

I am trying to install a 3COM Ethernet or network card. XP
detects that it is a model 3C905 - which it is.

(snippage)
How do I use any of these files to install the latest driver
for my 3C905 card?

The 3C905 is an old card, but a good one. I believe the drivers
are included with the standard XP install so you don't need to
download others. If the card isn't working, it may be dead.

When you say that the "3C905 is an old card but a good one" what
exactly does this mean?

I know this might sound like a bit of a dumb question from a
newbie like me but, assuming the same specification, how can one
network card be better than another network card?

Do you mean it is more compatible and more forgiving with other
hardware?

Do you mean that it has better error recovery (or whatever) which
makes it work better in adverse cicumstances?

I genuinely would like to know what makes, for example, a 3Com card
better than a no-name card.

Old September 13th 03, 02:24 PM
CJT

Vance Roos wrote:

Malke wrote:

I am trying to install a 3COM Ethernet or network card. XP
detects that it is a model 3C905 - which it is.

(snippage)

How do I use any of these files to install the latest driver
for my 3C905 card?

The 3C905 is an old card, but a good one. I believe the drivers
are included with the standard XP install so you don't need to
download others. If the card isn't working, it may be dead.

When you say that the "3C905 is an old card but a good one" what
exactly does this mean?

I'm not sure it's even true. I'd call it adequate.

I know this might sound like a bit of a dumb question from a
newbie like me but, assuming the same specification, how can one
network card be better than another network card?

Do you mean it is more compatible and more forgiving with other
hardware?

Do you mean that it has better error recovery (or whatever) which
makes it work better in adverse cicumstances?

I genuinely would like to know what makes, for example, a 3Com card
better than a no-name card.

I like cards that "just work." Support for multiple platforms is a
plus.

FWIW, I've found Intel cards are like that.

Old September 13th 03, 02:36 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\) wrote:
Maybe it's the "tolerance" of the components they use during assembly. There
are 20% resistors, 10% resistors, 1% resistors etc. The closer tolerance
components cost more and hold their ratings better.

One of the steps the design of an electronic product goes thru is
called "sensitivity analysis" which determines how variation of the
value of each and all the analog components affect the correct
functioning of the product. Depending on where they are in the circuit
some can be quite loose, and some have to be very close to nominal.
This has been done since the late 60's that I know of. The first
software I came across was called ECAP. Some parts change value over
years of use and the design has to take that into account. The goal is
to get a product that meets the specifications out the door at minimum
parts cost, there's nothing wrong with that.

1% components cost _lots_ more than 20% components and there
is no sense in using them unless they get you something.

There were some early 3Com PCI cards that were below-par. These cards
wend thru several design revisiions. I suspect it was poor design
because they were up to Rev D before it was solid. I think the readme
files for Linux ethernet drivers list which cards to stay away from.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old September 16th 03, 06:13 AM
John Thompson

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc.]

On 2003-09-13, Vance Roos wrote:

Malke wrote:

The 3C905 is an old card, but a good one. I believe the drivers
are included with the standard XP install so you don't need to
download others. If the card isn't working, it may be dead.

When you say that the "3C905 is an old card but a good one" what
exactly does this mean?

The 3com 905 series is reasonably fast, relatively inexpensive (especially
if you buy them used) and well supported. The drivers are stable, and
available out of the box. What more could you ask?

--

-John )
Old September 16th 03, 09:10 PM
kony

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:59:30 +0100, Vance Roos
wrote:

I thought it was ok to use the WinXP drivers for the 3Com 3C905
network card.

It should be... as per Microsoft tradition, that driver should support
whatever funciton Mickey decides you're allowed to have, and does this
function fine.

Are the 3Com driver better in some way? Should I use them?

Why are you asking? What brought all this about (I don't see the
start of the thread.)? If it works already then leave it alone.

I find
that what drivers 3Com has on its website is very hard to untangle
(see my original post in this thread).

Have they changed? AFAIK it's a bog-standard driver, nothing
especially unique about it, just install it like any other driver and
ignore all the extras.

Daev

Old September 16th 03, 11:56 PM
Doug Holtz

news
wrote:

I thought it was ok to use the WinXP drivers for the 3Com 3C905
network card.

It should be... as per Microsoft tradition, that driver should support
whatever funciton Mickey decides you're allowed to have, and does this
function fine.

Are the 3Com driver better in some way? Should I use them?

Why are you asking? What brought all this about (I don't see the
start of the thread.)? If it works already then leave it alone.

I find
that what drivers 3Com has on its website is very hard to untangle
(see my original post in this thread).

Have they changed? AFAIK it's a bog-standard driver, nothing
especially unique about it, just install it like any other driver and
ignore all the extras.

Daev

Just another "newbie" that doesn't know **** and doesn't know how to find
out. Just wastes a lot of time. He should just buy NIC's on price alone
and then when problems arise go out and find an answer. AFAIK he has no
problems.

Doug

Old September 17th 03, 01:02 AM
John Thompson

On 2003-09-16, Vance Roos wrote:
John Thompson wrote:

The 3com 905 series is reasonably fast, relatively inexpensive
(especially if you buy them used) and well supported. The
drivers are stable, and available out of the box. What more
could you ask?

I thought it was ok to use the WinXP drivers for the 3Com 3C905
network card.

Are the 3Com driver better in some way?

AFAIK, they're the same driver.

--