13.3" 2012 MacBook Pro's HDD dying confirmed or not?

Old September 30th 15, 03:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

Default 13.3" 2012 MacBook Pro's HDD dying confirmed or not?

If I told you that I'd have to kill you and you wouldn???t want that.

"Go ahead and my day."

Another reason for a SSD!

True.

I wonder what else broke. :P

Likely nothing, its mostly the hard drives that suffer
in that situation if there isn't any visible damage.

I also told him SSD wouldn't break from that type of drop too.
Everything else seems to still work from what we can see.
We don't see any external physical damages.

Yeah, if he is that careless, an SSD would be the way to go.
And AppleCare to cover it if he drops stuff much.

And his AppleCare just expired. It's funny how stuff break after their
warranties expire. :/
--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
Old September 30th 15, 03:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

I did more HDD testings with SMARTreporter (demo).
They showed green color, passed, etc. However,
I noticed its logs show possible bad signs:
http://pastie.org/pastes/10447460/te...2uz2nljbwrznyg ...

Absolutely certainly bad signs. Its got an absolute ****load of
pending reallocatable sectors, 456, and its clearly been dropped.

What type of drop? A big drop or a small drop?

The SMART report doesn???t say, its just a count.

Ah.

There is one undefined field in the SMART report, I
spose that might possibly be the max G shock its seen
or something. Haven't researched that with that drive tho.

Hmm.

I got that from your NSA report

Prove it.

If I did that, I'd have to kill you, again.

"Go ahead and make my day." :P

and planning in advance.

Not clear what you mean there.

Apple might not replace it for free
and he has to get his own replacement.

Since he doesn't want Apple to keep the drive,
best to just by a new one. They don't cost much.

Yeah, and Apple would swap with another
slow 5400 RPM HDD instead of a SSD.

Yeah, makes sense to get a faster SSD and
better handling of him dropping stuff.

Yep. I told him SSDs are so fast and have no mechnical movements! His
old MBP would feel faster almost like a new computer. However, other
parts can break. Some people think other parts, in the machine, might
be broken too for us to go to Apple store. :P
Old September 30th 15, 11:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote

If I told you that I'd have to kill you and you wouldn't want that.

"Go ahead and my day."

Try that again in english, I don’t do gobbledegook.

Another reason for a SSD!

True.

I wonder what else broke. :P

Likely nothing, its mostly the hard drives that suffer
in that situation if there isn't any visible damage.

I also told him SSD wouldn't break from that type of drop too.
Everything else seems to still work from what we can see.
We don't see any external physical damages.

Yeah, if he is that careless, an SSD would be the way to go.
And AppleCare to cover it if he drops stuff much.

And his AppleCare just expired.

I meant renewing it.

It's funny how stuff break after their warranties expire. :/

For various levels of funny.

--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536

You'll burn, boy.

Old September 30th 15, 11:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ant wrote

I did more HDD testings with SMARTreporter (demo).
They showed green color, passed, etc. However,
I noticed its logs show possible bad signs:
http://pastie.org/pastes/10447460/te...2uz2nljbwrznyg

Absolutely certainly bad signs. Its got an absolute ****load of
pending reallocatable sectors, 456, and its clearly been dropped.

What type of drop? A big drop or a small drop?

The SMART report doesn???t say, its just a count.

Ah.

There is one undefined field in the SMART report, I
spose that might possibly be the max G shock its seen
or something. Haven't researched that with that drive tho.

Hmm.

You've been told that humming won't save your bacon, boy.

I got that from your NSA report

Prove it.

If I did that, I'd have to kill you, again.

"Go ahead and make my day." :P

This is no laughing matter, boy.

and planning in advance.

Not clear what you mean there.

Apple might not replace it for free
and he has to get his own replacement.

Since he doesn't want Apple to keep the drive,
best to just by a new one. They don't cost much.

Yeah, and Apple would swap with another
slow 5400 RPM HDD instead of a SSD.

Yeah, makes sense to get a faster SSD and
better handling of him dropping stuff.

Yep. I told him SSDs are so fast and have no mechnical movements!
His old MBP would feel faster almost like a new computer. However,
other parts can break. Some people think other parts, in the machine,
might be broken too for us to go to Apple store. :P

They should be burnt at the stake.

--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536

You'll burn again, boy.

Old September 30th 15, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ant

If I told you that I'd have to kill you and you wouldn't want that.

"Go ahead and my day."

Try that again in english, I don???t do gobbledegook.

DOH! +make.

Another reason for a SSD!

True.

I wonder what else broke. :P

Likely nothing, its mostly the hard drives that suffer
in that situation if there isn't any visible damage.

I also told him SSD wouldn't break from that type of drop too.
Everything else seems to still work from what we can see.
We don't see any external physical damages.

Yeah, if he is that careless, an SSD would be the way to go.
And AppleCare to cover it if he drops stuff much.

And his AppleCare just expired.

I meant renewing it.

You can renew on old hardwares? I didn't know that.

It's funny how stuff break after their warranties expire. :/

For various levels of funny.

--
Quote of the Week: Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst
the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He,
therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that
tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set
on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient
to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari,
Book 54, Number 536

You'll burn, boy.

Worker ants are females.