USB Flashdrive continual errors.....

Old April 25th 08, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
geronimo

Default USB Flashdrive continual errors.....

I have a Samsung 8gb USB flashdrive. I can copy files to it, then
copy or move the files back to same desktop PC but in a different
directory....the files are not corrupted. FLV movies, AVIs, JPEGS,
PDF's...they are still good. However, when I copy the same files to
my Dell laptop, sometimes (often) the files are corrupted, they
don't work. I THINK I installed some sort of flashdrive manager
program from Microsoft website on the desktop, but never installed it
on the laptop. But why should it be necessary to have special software
installed fom flashdrives? Are others having a problem like this? I
originally had a 256 mb flashdrive, and it ALWAYS transferred files to
my laptop uncorrupted, without any special software,even on the
desktop.
Old April 26th 08, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DJT

Are you sure that it actually have 8 GB not just 4Gb tricked up to
show 8Gb.
I have bought a couple of USB drives from EBay that when they arrived
only had 1/2 the capacity. If you copied more than the actual capacity
it appeared to copy but could not be read back.

There are a lot of these fakes available on ebay.

DJT

Old April 26th 08, 05:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

geronimo wrote:

I have a Samsung 8gb USB flashdrive. I can copy files to it,
then copy or move the files back to same desktop PC but in a
different directory....the files are not corrupted. FLV movies,
AVIs, JPEGS, PDF's...they are still good. However, when I copy
the same files to my Dell laptop, sometimes (often) the files
are corrupted, they don't work. I THINK I installed some sort of
flashdrive manager program from Microsoft website on the desktop,
but never installed it on the laptop. But why should it be
necessary to have special software installed fom flashdrives? Are
others having a problem like this? I originally had a 256 mb
flashdrive, and it ALWAYS transferred files to my laptop
uncorrupted, without any special software,even on the desktop.

What operating systems? Are you using Windows 9x? I don't think
removing the flash drive properly is a big deal when using Windows
XP, but I wouldn't be surprised if procedure were a serious concern
with Windows 9x. Maybe Windows 9x is what your flash drive manager
program is for? Install some more RAM and upgrade to Windows XP.

Old April 27th 08, 09:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:25:59 -0500, geronimo
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have a Samsung 8gb USB flashdrive. I can copy files to it, then
copy or move the files back to same desktop PC but in a different
directory....the files are not corrupted. FLV movies, AVIs, JPEGS,
PDF's...they are still good. However, when I copy the same files to
my Dell laptop, sometimes (often) the files are corrupted, they
don't work. I THINK I installed some sort of flashdrive manager
program from Microsoft website on the desktop, but never installed it
on the laptop. But why should it be necessary to have special software
installed fom flashdrives? Are others having a problem like this? I
originally had a 256 mb flashdrive, and it ALWAYS transferred files to
my laptop uncorrupted, without any special software,even on the
desktop.

Maybe the difference is USB 2 versus USB 1 ??

Otherwise look for a pattern in the corruption. Are the file sizes
different, ie are bytes being dropped?

Are there consistent differences in one particular bit? You can
perform a binary comparison in a DOS window by typing ...

fc /b copy1.ext copy2.ext

You can capture the results of the comparison to a file as follows:

fc /b copy1.ext copy2.ext diffs.txt

- Franc Zabkar

C: drive has continual errors found..... geronimo Homebuilt PC's 24 November 20th 06 07:32 PM
Seagate drive check utility reports "errors in metadatea file records, other errors critical errors in metadata.." [email protected] Storage (alternative) 0 February 3rd 06 04:48 AM
Farcry sucks with 9600xtg? why continual lockups? smithy Ati Videocards 7 December 11th 04 06:57 PM
USB FlashDrive Gary Dingle General 1 October 6th 04 06:34 PM
Continual Backup j walker Gateway Computers 2 November 7th 03 11:26 AM