"Bird Chirping" Noise Hard drive, seagate only?

Old May 14th 07, 06:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Bob Brown INC.

Default "Bird Chirping" Noise Hard drive, seagate only?

So should I avoid seagate or just certian capacities?

Mines a 320GB, yours a 250G, which should I get?

On Wed, 9 May 2007 09:47:16 -0400, "ed jurewicz"
ejurewicz@comcastnet Let everyone including the NSAs Internet
database storage program know as they typed on their keyboard faster
than a monkey on crack the following:

Just had a seagate drive go south on me and the symptom wasn't quite a bird
chirping but an intermittant high pitched noise that got progressively worse
over ashort period of time time. I actually thought it was one of the fans
and spent a bit of time inside the computer removing and replacing them.
Finally traced it to the hard drive which was less than 6 months old when I
started having troubles on boot up. This was a 250 g drive.

"Bob Brown INC." wrote in message
.. .
Got a 7200.10 drive, the 320gb sata II one
It has LOADS of complaints of BIRD CHIRPING noises, many many
complaints.

I see this for no other hard drive, nothing near this many complaints.

It's happening to me, yet the drive never freezes, gives errors or
fails to boot or load programs.
It's FAST, so what is the deal?
Shouldn't a failing hard drive have more symptoms than that BIRD
CHIRPING sound?

It seriously sounds like you have a PARROT or some BIRD chirping,
chirp, now and then, in your room.

Old May 14th 07, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Bob M

Bob Brown INC. wrote:

So should I avoid seagate or just certian capacities?

Mines a 320GB, yours a 250G, which should I get?

On Wed, 9 May 2007 09:47:16 -0400, "ed jurewicz"
ejurewicz@comcastnet Let everyone including the NSAs Internet
database storage program know as they typed on their keyboard faster
than a monkey on crack the following:

Just had a seagate drive go south on me and the symptom wasn't quite a bird
chirping but an intermittant high pitched noise that got progressively worse
over ashort period of time time. I actually thought it was one of the fans
and spent a bit of time inside the computer removing and replacing them.
Finally traced it to the hard drive which was less than 6 months old when I
started having troubles on boot up. This was a 250 g drive.

"Bob Brown INC." wrote in message
. ..

Got a 7200.10 drive, the 320gb sata II one
It has LOADS of complaints of BIRD CHIRPING noises, many many
complaints.

I see this for no other hard drive, nothing near this many complaints.

It's happening to me, yet the drive never freezes, gives errors or
fails to boot or load programs.
It's FAST, so what is the deal?
Shouldn't a failing hard drive have more symptoms than that BIRD
CHIRPING sound?

It seriously sounds like you have a PARROT or some BIRD chirping,
chirp, now and then, in your room.

I swear by Maxtor drives. Some people here don't like them. But I'm
running 7 of them including a 6 year old one in a PVR and not one hint
of a problem out of them. But I also keep my drives cool and I think
that has a lot to do with why they are still running like new. I've had
2 drives dier on me over the years. One was a WD and the other an IBM
Deathstar.

Bob

Old May 15th 07, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Bob M

Bob Brown INC. wrote:

[...]

Nope you're wrong. Maxtor = Seagate now.