Upgrading Dimension 8400 Video Card

Old April 30th 07, 06:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Frederick J. Barnett

Default Upgrading Dimension 8400 Video Card

I'm thinking of getting an ATI Raedeon X1650 pci-e card. Will
this work on my system, or do I need to look at a lower number, like
the X1300?

Frederick J. Barnett http://www.eatel.net/~fred/
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone
Old April 30th 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Frederick J. Barnett" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting an ATI Raedeon X1650 pci-e card. Will
this work on my system, or do I need to look at a lower number, like
the X1300?

Frederick J. Barnett http://www.eatel.net/~fred/
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!!
Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

Fred -

Yes, most any PCIexpress card will work:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1052308

Scroll down here for step-by-step:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1052738

Whether the X1650 is the best for what you plan to use it for, I have no
idea.

What do you plan to use this for?

-Stew

Old April 30th 07, 09:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Frederick J. Barnett

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:21:36 -0500, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

Fred -

Yes, most any PCIexpress card will work:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1052308

Scroll down here for step-by-step:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1052738

Whether the X1650 is the best for what you plan to use it for, I have no
idea.

What do you plan to use this for?

Mostly as an upgrade to my X300 that came with my 8400. A bit
specifically for use with the Silent Hunter 4 game. I can play it fine
right now, but I do have to use the lowest graphic settings. With a
better card, I rev the settings up a bit. :-)
I picked the X1650 because it only requires a 350 watt power
supply, so I don't have to buy a new one, which I can't afford at the
same time as a new card. And there's bunches of 1650s on eBay fairly
cheap too.
Thanks!!

Old May 1st 07, 12:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Monday, April 30, 2007 4:55 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Upgrading Dimension 8400 Video Card
Subject: Upgrading Dimension 8400 Video Card

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...specs.htm#wp10

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...parts.htm#wp10

[...]

You don't need a new power supply. Dell seriously underrates their
power supplies. It's the equivalent of about a 450 watt power supply
from any other vendor.

I've run 'bigger cards' than that in my 8400.

Nothing from with the 1650 though.

Old May 1st 07, 05:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Frederick J. Barnett

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 19:39:32 -0400, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

You don't need a new power supply. Dell seriously underrates their
power supplies. It's the equivalent of about a 450 watt power supply
from any other vendor.

Seriously?? That's good to know, if true.

Old May 1st 07, 06:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.

wrote:

You don't need a new power supply. Dell seriously underrates their
power supplies. It's the equivalent of about a 450 watt power supply
from any other vendor.

Seriously?? That's good to know, if true.

Frederick J. Barnett http://www.eatel.net/~fred/

It's VERY true. This poor Dim 8200 is fully loaded+ and I am running a
card that needs a 400 watt supply.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old May 1st 07, 09:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Frederick J. Barnett

On Tue, 01 May 2007 13:09:17 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

It's VERY true. This poor Dim 8200 is fully loaded+ and I am running a
card that needs a 400 watt supply.

Cool!!!!! Now I know. And knowing is half the battle. Thanks!!

(BTW, I love your sig.)