Replacing Dell 8200 Mobo for Video

Old April 8th 04, 04:31 AM
The General

Default Replacing Dell 8200 Mobo for Video

Can someone tell me of I am correct in believing that the Motherboard in
my 8200 is an ATX form factor.
Also, I do allot of Video editing on my 2Ghs system. Now I haven't found
anything that this computer won't do but I was wondering how much faster
a 3Ghs machine would be working with Video. Both Editing and Burning DVD's.
General
Old April 8th 04, 01:49 PM
Edward J. Neth

"The General" wrote in message
Can someone tell me of I am correct in believing that the Motherboard in
my 8200 is an ATX form factor.

In size, yes. In mounting hardware, wiring, etc., no. It is not easily
replaced other than with another Dell board (say, and 8300 board).

Also, I do allot of Video editing on my 2Ghs system. Now I haven't found
anything that this computer won't do but I was wondering how much faster
a 3Ghs machine would be working with Video. Both Editing and Burning

DVD's.
General

Depending on whether you have an 850 board or an 850e (you'll need to remove
the heatsink on the northbridge of the chipset to determine; it's the
second-largest chip on the board, after the CPU, you may be able to upgrade
to a 3.06/533 CPU. If you have an 850, you're limited to a 2.6/400 P4 or
2.8 Celeron.

The only practical upgrade for a new board is one from a DImension 8300,
which will require all new RAM. If you go aftermarket for board, you'll
need a new case for the new board - the level of alterations needed to make
an aftermarket board fit the nonstandard Dell case aren't worth the trouble.