[UK] Evesham Technology slapped on wrist by ASA for spamming

Old February 4th 04, 11:57 AM
Taipan

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Uncle
StoatWarbler writes
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:07:34 +0000, Alan wrote:

Feel sorry for the employees, they are only trying to do as management
wants, and that includes spamming.

Spamming is illegal under UK law. Any employee who does it while knowing
it's illegal faces personal legal liability.

I think it would be difficult, maybe impossible even with forensic
examination of computer hardware, to prove which employee was actually
responsible.

Any employee who refuses to do it and is fired has a pretty good case for
legal action against the company. It's illegal to order someone to

perform
an illegal act as part of their job.

With a good responsible employer that would be fine, but with Evesham?
Evesham spam. Has an employee ever taken an employer to court after
being dismissal for refusing to send out spam? I doubt it. With the
time that will take to get to court I doubt Evesham will still be
trading.

Not sure about that - I remember when they were Evesham Micros, with a
fairly small showroom right next to Evesham College, selling hardware and
software for Amigas and Atari STs and the last time I driove round that way,
they now reside in a huge metal and glass purpose-built building with a moat
running round it and a pretty decent showroom.. they have been around a
while and probably will for a while (I bought a PC from them 2 years ago
when I couldn't be bothere building one - very decent service and a fairly
good PC for the price).

But I agree that what they were sending out was spam and hopefully, once
warned, they'll quit it.

--
TP

Old February 4th 04, 01:50 PM
Jack

Taipan wrote:

But I agree that what they were sending out was spam and hopefully,
once warned, they'll quit it.

They've already been warned (see Subject-line) and they did it again -
so it's too late for hoping what you hope.

--
Jack.

Old February 4th 04, 04:01 PM
Bruce Stephens

"Taipan" writes:

[...]

But I agree that what they were sending out was spam and hopefully,
once warned, they'll quit it.

They've been spamming for months, and their upstream provider (GXN)
claims to have warned them. They did another spam run a few days
before the ASA adjudication was published (but after they'd received
the draft). It seems that they're continuing to use the email list
that they agreed is unsuitable for marketing. This doesn't seem like
a company that spammed by accident and has learned its lesson.
Old February 5th 04, 07:39 PM
Andy

In message , Andy
wrote
[]

ASA informed; watch this space.

My complaint has been forwarded to the ASA Compliance Team. The website
www.asa.org.uk seems to be the only place where any information on what
happens may be publicised.
--
Andy
For Austria & its philately, Lupus, & much else visit
Old February 9th 04, 12:11 AM
Nix

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004, Parish mused:
Jack wrote:

Craig Cockburn wrote:

Re the lynx discussion, you may enjoy visiting messagelabs.com using Mozilla, Netscape or some other non IE browsers. Blank page
or "We don't support text browsers"

Messagelabs.com worked fine for me - Mozilla 1.4.

Am I allowed to say "dabs.com"? :P)

I dunno, if dabs is as useless for everyone else as it is for me then
blind users are being done a service by not getting access to it to
start with.

(Three attempted orders. One never arrived; they charged me to cancel it
(!); one sat there forever and never even charged my credit card: one
I decided not to order when the order refused to allow Saturday
delivery for no obvious reason and jumped from `45 in stock' to
`3--4 weeks to availability' a few minutes after I saw it.
In comparison ebuyer delivered 36 hours after ordering, on
a Saturday, although their surcharge for Saturday delivery
was damned hefty: 25 quid.)

Bah.

--
`note to the crown prosecution service: Machine guns dont have a
'stun' setting.' --- mjw
Old February 9th 04, 02:55 AM
Jim Crowther

In message , Nix
writes:

I dunno, if dabs is as useless for everyone else as it is for me then
blind users are being done a service by not getting access to it to
start with.

For a period of between 3 years and two years ago I had excellent
service from Dabs. Not used them before or since, but many orders went
through in that time, all dealt with very well, including duff parts
etc.

They may have changed...

--
Jim Crowther "It's MY computer" (tm SMG)
Avoid more swen by dumping your old Usenet addresses, and
Old February 9th 04, 08:54 AM
Les Desser

In article , Jim Crowther
writes
In message , Nix
writes:

I dunno, if dabs is as useless for everyone else as it is for me then
blind users are being done a service by not getting access to it to
start with.

For a period of between 3 years and two years ago I had excellent
service from Dabs. Not used them before or since, but many orders went
through in that time, all dealt with very well, including duff parts etc.

They may have changed...

A few weeks back a client of ours ordered from Dabs a wireless router
(Lynksys I think) which comes in two parts - a router and a wireless
card.

Did not work. After contacting the manufacturer it turned out the
versions of the parts were not compatible and were now blown.

Dabs did not want to know. £150 down the drain.

On talking to an other supplier, he found out that there were dozens of
these items being returned, with full refunds, as the manufacturer was
taking them back.

Dabs still maintains that it is up to the customer to determine
compatibility between components.

Make your own conclusions.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS correct - hope Swen ignores it))
Old February 9th 04, 08:58 AM
David G. Bell

On Monday, in article

"Jim Crowther"
wrote:

In message , Nix
writes:

I dunno, if dabs is as useless for everyone else as it is for me then
blind users are being done a service by not getting access to it to
start with.

For a period of between 3 years and two years ago I had excellent
service from Dabs. Not used them before or since, but many orders went
through in that time, all dealt with very well, including duff parts
etc.

They may have changed...

I have ordered once from them with no problems, last November.

(They seem, in practice, to be the exclusive UK source for the item I
bought.)

"History shows that the Singularity started when Sir Tim Berners-Lee
was bitten by a radioactive spider."
Old February 9th 04, 09:12 AM
David Lord

On Monday, in article

"Jim Crowther"
wrote:

In message , Nix
writes:

I dunno, if dabs is as useless for everyone else as it is for me then
blind users are being done a service by not getting access to it to
start with.

For a period of between 3 years and two years ago I had excellent
service from Dabs. Not used them before or since, but many orders went
through in that time, all dealt with very well, including duff parts
etc.

They may have changed...

another rant....

They're web ordering only and their ordering system is broken. I
suspect they can't get it fixed as I had exact same problems 2003
as in 2002.

You are supposed to get a confirmation as to when delivery will be
made and giving order details such as carrier and consignment
details that are not available from the web site.

Most often I've had this confirmation email sent some days after
delivery has been attempted. The courier has never left a card to
indicate a delivery has been attempted. Contact via email or web
page gets a reply after a week or more inducing the email-lag
problem with crossing emails. Your credit card has been debited and
you don't have the goods. Twice I've obtained a refund less the
delivery charge but hassled them to obtained the full amount. I've
emailed them suggesting they change the web page so you don't
expect the confirmation before the goods. Twice the delivery attempt
was claimed to have been made the morning following placement of the
order early evening, ie within 12 hrs, which would be brilliant if
you weren't checking your email for the confirmation while courier
must have been trying to deliver to an adjacent property. Once I
heard the banging next door when they were out and it was one
ParcelFarce delivery from Dabs that I received within 24hr of
placing the order. I've twice faxed a map to ParcelFarce giving
directions to my door bell.

I've wondered how often people accept the refund less delivery
charge?

.....end rant

David

--
The Reply-To: is valid for at least 30 days after posting date
David Lord -
Old February 9th 04, 09:12 AM
Dominic Sexton

In article , Jim Crowther
writes
In message , Nix
writes:

I dunno, if dabs is as useless for everyone else as it is for me then
blind users are being done a service by not getting access to it to
start with.

For a period of between 3 years and two years ago I had excellent
service from Dabs. Not used them before or since, but many orders went
through in that time, all dealt with very well, including duff parts etc.

They may have changed...

In my experiences of ordering from them over the last 5 years or so
they were excellent but they appear to have gone downhill in the last
year. I have just cancelled my latest order with them which was still
awaiting stock after twenty days while their listings continued to say 0
in stock but several hundred available in 1-3 days.

Their customer services dept sent me a terse and unhelpful reply when I
emailed them a second time asking what was happening. There was no reply
to the first query.

When they work the service is good. When they don't or when you have a
problem with an item they supply it is poor.

--

Dominic Sexton
http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/