Royal Mail warning

Old November 30th 03, 10:28 PM
Ronald

Default Royal Mail warning

A word of warning if you are returning a small item like a memory stick. I
carefully parcelled up a memory stick in a jiffy bag, put a couple of first
class stamps on it and put it in the post box. That was on the 5th November.
The company has never received it. Royal Mail basically said tough, can you
prove you posted it? Next time I will use registered post. However I will
be hand delivering my Christmas cards.

Ronald

Old November 30th 03, 10:35 PM
rich a

"Ronald" decided it would be mildly amusing to
write:

Royal Mail
basically said tough, can you prove you posted it? Next time I will
use registered post.

You can get proof of postage free from your local post office. You give
them your letter/package and they will stamp a form which shows the
destination and time of posting. If the item doesn't arrive you can claim
for up to £28, which is exactly the same amount you can claim for with
recorded post(!)

--
Lots of love, Rich
crapola - http://www.brushtastic.f2s.com
Old December 1st 03, 12:22 AM
nigel. carron

In message , Ronald
writes
A word of warning if you are returning a small item like a memory
stick. I carefully parcelled up a memory stick in a jiffy bag, put a
couple of first class stamps on it and put it in the post box. That was
on the 5th November. The company has never received it. Royal Mail
basically said tough, can you prove you posted it? Next time I will
use registered post. However I will be hand delivering my Christmas cards.

This is an Idiot Warning I am afraid - you sent it uninsured and didn't
get a free certificate of postage. OK Royal Snail shouldn't have lost it
- but ya should have known the risk ya took.!!

--
njc AKA (Fastpay, Paypal & nochex e-mail)
Old December 1st 03, 08:34 AM
^^artnada^^

nigel. carron wrote:
|| In message , Ronald
|| writes
||| A word of warning if you are returning a small item like a memory
||| stick. I carefully parcelled up a memory stick in a jiffy bag, put a
||| couple of first class stamps on it and put it in the post box. That was
||| on the 5th November. The company has never received it. Royal Mail
||| basically said tough, can you prove you posted it? Next time I will
||| use registered post. However I will be hand delivering my Christmas
cards.
|| This is an Idiot Warning I am afraid - you sent it uninsured and didn't
|| get a free certificate of postage. OK Royal Snail shouldn't have lost it
|| - but ya should have known the risk ya took.!!
Hear hear

You are sending goods of value. Get a certificate at least! Sheesh...!

Old December 1st 03, 07:08 PM
Martin Nike

A word of warning if you are returning a small item like a memory stick. I
carefully parcelled up a memory stick in a jiffy bag, put a couple of

first
class stamps on it and put it in the post box. That was on the 5th

November.
The company has never received it. Royal Mail basically said tough, can

you
prove you posted it? Next time I will use registered post. However I will
be hand delivering my Christmas cards.

You can get a certificate I believe, to say you've posted it.

Avoid RM full stop - the our local depot (Coventry) had a strike and we've
*lost* almost two weeks of mail, including some important stuff - I assume
they've slung it all away because they can't be bothered to sort out the
backlog. Why they didn't fire the lot of them is beyond me.

Old December 1st 03, 08:20 PM
Paul Hopwood

"Ronald" wrote:

A word of warning if you are returning a small item like a memory stick. I
carefully parcelled up a memory stick in a jiffy bag, put a couple of first
class stamps on it and put it in the post box. That was on the 5th November.
The company has never received it. Royal Mail basically said tough, can you
prove you posted it? Next time I will use registered post. However I will
be hand delivering my Christmas cards.

What did you expect them to say? "Oh, sure Ronald, you may never of
posted it but here's a bucket load of cash because you seem like a
decent bloke"?

At the end of the day if you can't prove you posted it you may well
never of done. I'm not suggesting for one minute you didn't, but you
can't really expect Royal Mail to take responsibility unless you have
some documentary evidence that a) proves you posted it and b) gives
them some information to give them at least a fighting chance of
investigating the loss.

You don't even need to use registered post - just take it to the post
office and ask for a proof of posting, which is completely FREE and
gives is similar to sending via recorded delivery, with the exception
you don't get a signature on delivery.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old December 1st 03, 08:52 PM
Tx2

In article , malev@
1ccms.com, a.k.a Malev says...

=20
Please, how do you send small items of small value?

Get a certificate of posting. 'Insurance' cover is then up to =A328 AIUI
Old December 2nd 03, 12:05 AM
Chris Nowak

I'm a bit fed up at moment as I've not received some expected deliveries -
but I got some of our neighbours! Maybe one of 'em has mine?
It's an appalling service at present. Can it get worse?
Chris

Old December 2nd 03, 09:14 AM

Paul Hopwood wrote:
At the end of the day if you can't prove you posted it you may well
never of done. I'm not suggesting for one minute you didn't, but you

.... or even "... never have done."

can't really expect Royal Mail to take responsibility unless you have
some documentary evidence that a) proves you posted it and b) gives
them some information to give them at least a fighting chance of
investigating the loss.

You don't even need to use registered post - just take it to the post
office and ask for a proof of posting, which is completely FREE and
gives is similar to sending via recorded delivery, with the exception
you don't get a signature on delivery.

I totally agree with what you're saying though.

--
Chris Green )
Old December 2nd 03, 06:25 PM
Martin Nike

Avoid RM full stop

Please, how do you send small items of small value?

In small envelopes of small value