-Need help on a new computer...

Old January 2nd 05, 04:22 AM
keith

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:21:27 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

Plugging a drive power connector into a video card, any card, is
ugly...ugly... ugly.

I thought the same when I had to plug a drive connector into my
*motherboard*, since I "only" had an ATX12V supply.

--
Keith
Old January 2nd 05, 04:27 AM
keith

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:35:25 -0500, Tony Hill wrote:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:21:27 -0500, George Macdonald
wrote:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:53:21 -0500, Tony Hill
wrote:
Am I the only one that doesn't like having a video chipset that
consumes so much power it needs a drive connector to power it? If
nothing else that is yet another extremely unreliable fan in the
system just waiting to fail the day after the (1 year) warranty
expires. It's not even like you can buy easily buy replacement fans
for most of these cards since they're all customer jobs.

Even the PCI-Express mbrds have the extra power but of course it's
integrated into the 24-pin power header on the mbrd - something else to
worry about in futu is the power supply really putting out more or did
they just add a 20-24-pin adapter somewhere?

Well, it doesn't make too much of a difference here, the power all
comes from the same place regardless of whether it's going through an
extra 4 pins on the main power header or a separate connector.

Plugging a drive power connector into a video card, any card, is
ugly...ugly... ugly.

Agreed. It doesn't really make a difference electrically speaking
where it gets the power from (so long as it can get a good, clean and
steady supply), but the simple idea of plugging a hard drive connector
into a card just seems somehow wrong.

Actually it does make a difference. The smaller the loop (one can argue
the drive supplies are a short loop) the better the supply and lower
EMI. Grounds and power in long loops isn't generally what one tries
to do. Long wires also increase the impedance of the supply. Since it's
not possible ot model all combinations of supplies, cables, and do-dads
hanging off the cables, I'd say it was a rather weak situation.

--
Keith
Old January 2nd 05, 10:15 AM
George Macdonald

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:22:04 -0500, keith wrote:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:21:27 -0500, George Macdonald wrote:

Plugging a drive power connector into a video card, any card, is
ugly...ugly... ugly.

I thought the same when I had to plug a drive connector into my
*motherboard*, since I "only" had an ATX12V supply.

In poking around for info I came across this:
http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...sts/109616.htm
I dunno what's worse... using a drive connector or defining a new
connector... which nobody has yet?? I guess people who need 75watts for
their video card can just pony up the $$ for a new PS to match it.:-)

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old January 2nd 05, 07:09 PM
The little lost angel

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 18:44:50 -0500, George Macdonald
wrote:

The really dumb one on all this is AMD's ATXGES, with a completely
different arrangement of pins.

It's pretty much a dead standard since the Opteron came out. Very few
boards ever used the ATXGES connectors.

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me