1 GB memory modules for KT333-based system?

Old December 7th 03, 11:22 PM
Boris Zakharin

Default 1 GB memory modules for KT333-based system?

I have a VIA KT333-based system (MSI's MS-6380E to be exact). I am thinking
of adding a GB more of RAM to the system. It already has 256 MB PC2700
DDR333 32X8 that it came with
(http://www.wintecindustries.com/onli...spx?category_i
d=1098&product_id=1495%%3E&searchString=35134582&O p=2).

Now, the manual claims that 1 GB modules are supported. However, PortaTech,
for one, has this disclaimer with its 1 GB modules:
(The parts listed below will only work in SIS 648, 648FX, 746FX & VIA KT600
& PT800 Chipsets - This is most likely the same for every other 1GB memory
modules you see advertised. (Most Mfg claims of 1GB memory compatibility are
assuming the use of higher density DRAM chips not currently available.) If
you have a motherboard with any other chipset we recommend you purchase a
Dual Channel 1GB Kit to reach 1GB)

Meanwhile, Crucial, which guarantees compattibility, does list 1 GB modules,
but at $509.99 each (compared with $157.98 for two 512 MB modules).

What's going on here? Can I lor can I not use 1 GB modules in my system? If
I can, do I have to use the ones from Crucial? What makes them so special?
As far as I can tell, the only difference is that crucial's are 128x64,
while PortaTech's is 64x4.

Old December 8th 03, 11:21 AM
George Macdonald

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 23:22:37 GMT, "Boris Zakharin"
wrote:

[...]

First You're comparing two different numbers there. The Crucial 1GB DIMM
is 128Mx64 which is the size of the DIMM; though they don't say anything
about the DRAM "type" I'm pretty sure it's made with 16 64Mx8 (512Mbit)
DRAM chips - it would not conform to industry standards otherwise. 512Mbit
chips are still pretty new and scarce which is why the price is high.

Now, Portatech does not make memory - they show several types of memory for
each size labeling them OEM, Major Brand or Standard. Their labelling is
also wrong:"64x4 DRAM type" cannot be applied to anything to do with a 1GB
DIMM; if they really mean 64Mx4 (256Mbit) chips that'd mean that there are
32 chips on the DIMM which is bad in two ways: 32 chips is too many without
registering and x4 chips are a bad choice since you need to drive 16 of
them at once on the memory bus. Non-registered DIMMs with x4 chips cannot
conform to industry standards - they have been known to work on *some*
mbrds and somtimes with only 1 or 2 DIMMs but you should pass on those.

If you want a 1GB DIMM get the MSI recommended Kingston part, from say
NewEgg ($461.) or the Crucial part but you'd probably be better off,
technically and certainly financially, with a dual 512MB kit. There's
simply a premium on the 512Mbit chips needed to build a standard conforming
quality 1GB DIMM.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old December 8th 03, 01:51 PM
Boris Zakharin

So can I buy any two 512 MB DIMMS as long as they're PC2700, unbuffeered,
and non-parity, including the ones PortaTech or some other discount place
sells or would I still need a major brand? Also, would PC3200 modules work
on my system in some sort of underclocked mode? They're not listed as
supported by the manual, but Crucial seems to think they are.

(http://www.wintecindustries.com/onli...aspx?category_

[...]

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who,

me??

Old December 9th 03, 12:48 AM
George Macdonald

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 13:51:29 GMT, "Boris Zakharin"
wrote:

So can I buy any two 512 MB DIMMS as long as they're PC2700, unbuffeered,
and non-parity, including the ones PortaTech or some other discount place
sells or would I still need a major brand? Also, would PC3200 modules work
on my system in some sort of underclocked mode? They're not listed as
supported by the manual, but Crucial seems to think they are.

Any quality PC2700 unbuffered will work but as already mentioned there
*are* marginal DIMMs at the low end of the price scale. Major brand has
the advanatge of being warranteed properly and traceable source. 2nd tier
will *probably* work but you want to be sure they have the correct chips
(256Mbit with 32Mx8 org) and number (max 16) of chips in the correct
arrangement. If you might upgrade to a CPU/mbrd with a faster memory bus in
future, PC3200 is certainly worth getting now and will work on your current
system. Ya pays yer money and....

Whatever you get, first thing to do after install is to run memtest86
(http://www.memtest86.com/) for at least 2 full cycles.

.. .

Old December 9th 03, 04:25 PM
Boris Zakharin

So 512MB 64x4 wouldn't work either? I don't think it's a typo on portatech's
site. Just about all "generic" and even "mid grade" memory advertised at
various sites is labled as 64x4.

Old December 10th 03, 12:18 AM
George Macdonald

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:25:38 GMT, "Boris Zakharin"
wrote:

So 512MB 64x4 wouldn't work either? I don't think it's a typo on portatech's
site. Just about all "generic" and even "mid grade" memory advertised at
various sites is labled as 64x4.

It's not a typo - it's just ignorance. I can't account for the
mis-labeling of retailers. 64x4 doesn't mean anything in the context. If
they really mean 64Mx4 I've already given my opinion there. There's a
reason that Intel does not support x4 memory chips on unbuffered DIMMs with
any of their chipsets.