Nvidia 3D on an Inspiron 17R SE 7720

Old January 2nd 13, 01:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve

Default Nvidia 3D on an Inspiron 17R SE 7720

Hi,

My wife has an Inspiron 17R SE 7720 laptop, approx 3 months old. The
laptop is capable of showing 3D movies, but you obviously need some 3D
glasses to watch them. I've found Nvidia 3D glasses on sale and 3D kits,
which contain glasses and an IR emitter. However I have a feeling this
laptop has a built in emitter. At least there's a panel that looks like
an infra-red device, next to the webcam. The documentation is shockingly
bad. Even when I put the service tag into the dell support site, it
brings up manuals for other models, e.g. the 5720 or the 7110. I can't
find anything that tells me what this IR device is.

Can anyone help confirm what it is? Or whether I need to buy the kit?

Thanks
Steve
Old January 2nd 13, 12:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Steve wrote:

Hi,

My wife has an Inspiron 17R SE 7720 laptop, approx 3 months old. The
laptop is capable of showing 3D movies, but you obviously need some 3D
glasses to watch them. I've found Nvidia 3D glasses on sale and 3D kits,
which contain glasses and an IR emitter. However I have a feeling this
laptop has a built in emitter. At least there's a panel that looks like
an infra-red device, next to the webcam. The documentation is shockingly
bad. Even when I put the service tag into the dell support site, it
brings up manuals for other models, e.g. the 5720 or the 7110. I can't
find anything that tells me what this IR device is.

Can anyone help confirm what it is? Or whether I need to buy the kit?

Thanks
Steve

How does a laptop do 3d?

Time division, red/green, polarized ... ?

Old January 2nd 13, 07:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve

On 02/01/13 12:38, Ron Hardin wrote:
Steve wrote:

[...]

When you look at the movie without glasses, it looks like red/green
anaglyph. But apparently that's not all there is to it, as the glasses
not only filter colours, they switch from what you see, to black, in
each eye alternately, many times per second.
Then your brain builds a 3D image from what it sees in each eye.
Steve
Old January 6th 13, 06:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
timdrouillard

According to this page, there is an 3D infrared emitter status indicator
(optional)
as well as a 3D infrared emitter (optional.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...uide_en-us.pdf