laser printer or inkjet printer? which is better?

Old May 25th 04, 02:19 PM
Giuseppe

Default laser printer or inkjet printer? which is better?

First of all, excuse my poor english but i'm italian and i don't speak
english very well.....

then, I have to buy my next printer, I already own a brother mfc3420c, that
is a multifunction, so

i don't need to print color pages, and i need only a printer to print text
in the less expansive

way.

I thought that the less expensive printers are the laser ones.

and i looked at the brother hl1430, that costs 149 euro.
The toner is 48 euro, and the drum is 83 euro.
Whith the toner you can print about 6000 pages, and whith the drum you can
print 20.000 pages.

so, every page that you print costs 1.4cent.(calculated on 20.000pages)

the only negative aspect of this printer is that it can't print front/rear.

Then a friend of mine told me that there is a printer, the hp businessjet
1100d, that has less or more the same mantaing cost of the printers.

the hp is 190 euro.
a cartridge is 23 euro, and whit a cartridge you can print about 2000 pages.
the positive aspect of this printer is that you can print front/rear pages
automatically, and for me is very important (whith the brother you could do
it manually).
and every page costs about 1.3cent, calculated on 20K pages.

I'm so confused.........

is the hp 1100d a good printer?

Old May 25th 04, 03:40 PM
Cerridwen

Giuseppe wrote:
first mistake, with, not whith.......
sorry ..........

Second mistake - "less expansive" should be 'least expEnsive"

Hope that helps - but your English is better than my Italian - and I lived
in Roma for a year!

Old May 25th 04, 04:50 PM
Don

Usually the laser printers will cost less to operate, and have better print
quality, than the inkjet printers, but there are exceptions. The laser
printers are also much faster, if that matters to you.

Don

Old May 25th 04, 10:20 PM
Dick Ballard

If you do not want color, laser is the best choice. If you need color,
ink jet is currently the least expensive way to go.

With most ink jets, the color cartridge(s) must remain in place, and
usually must be functional, in order to print anything, even black &
white. (There are exceptions to this). The ink cartridges can dry out
if the printer sits unused for a long period. There are frequent (and
sometimes noisy) delays before a print job starts, and noisy activity
when the print heads are again stored after the print job. There are
frequent cleaning cycles, some automatic and some manually initiated
by the user if banding problems arise. Banding (uneven solid color
areas) is a common problem when ink nozzle flow is impaired.

The toner cartridge in a laser printer lasts much longer than most ink
jet cartridges, although replacement is more expensive. The laser will
be much faster for full resolution print jobs. Print consistency is
the usual and expected pattern throughout the life of a laser printer.
Print durability is a hallmark of laser output - it consists of baked
on plastic toner particles which are unaffected by moisture and
handling. Inks can run when wet, although more recent ones have been
improved.

As you've discovered, cost per page can be similar between the two
technologies. Pages per cartridge is higher for lasers but so is the
cost per cartridge. The single unit laser replacement cartridges
(optical drum, developer, and toner all in one) are more expensive but
less fuss because everything is replaced at once. The separated
component style requires only the less expensive toner cartridge
replacement at normal intervals and then more expensive component
replacement (the optical drum for example) at much longer intervals. A
trade-off with the separated component units is the problem of
diagnosing which component is causing a problem.

We have both types at our house. My wife uses her laser printer to do
a lot of ordinary office style printing, sometimes many copies at a
time, for her various clubs and political activities. She also has an
ink jet printer on her system (a free add on when she bought a new
computer), but she uses it only rarely. I do more color printing of
things like web pages, graphics or engineering drawings and
schematics, mixed text and graphics, or an occasional photo. I
recently bought a combination printer-scanner-copier-fax ink jet
printer which is inexpensive (compared to buying the separate units)
and does many common tasks without consuming a lot of desk space.

Dick Ballard

Beaverton, Oregon USA (near Portland)

Old May 27th 04, 05:22 AM
Al

On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:19:28 GMT, "Giuseppe"
wrote:

--- trim

I'm so confused.........

is the hp 1100d a good printer?

Quick correction. The HP 1100d is NOT a laser printer it is an inkjet.

The LaserJet 1012, 1015 or 1300 are laser.
Old May 27th 04, 06:43 AM
Giuseppe

And What did i said?

ps: i never said that 1100d is a laser printer

Old May 27th 04, 07:20 PM
Jerry G.

To be simple, if you need photo quality colour prints, then go with a good
colour ink jet type printer. If you only need standard B&W printing, then go
with the laser.

I have 2 printers on my system. I am using an HP colour photo printer for my
colour pages, and photographic printings. I am using the laser printer for
my main printing jobs, that do not require colour.

In the end, the laser is costing less per print than the colour. It is also
much faster.

I found the laser colour printers to be much too expensive to use for any
type of printing, unless it is specifically required. A photo quality colour
laser printer is still too expensive to purchase and operate for the home,
or the small business, unless it is absolutely required.

--

Jerry G.
=====