A lemon ? and warranty going soon

Old June 23rd 03, 11:15 PM
Tom Scales

Default A lemon ? and warranty going soon

Call Dell's corporate offices at 512-671-4751. Ask for the office of the
president. There should be someone that answers the phone that deals with
people pushy enough to call directly and ask for Michael.

Tom
"D Mitchell" wrote in message
Hi Tom,

I called Dell today. I first spoke with Customer Care. After explaining
the extensive history of replacement parts on my machine she insisted
that only Tech Support could take it any further. She patched me through
to tech support...in India. I spoke with two tech support people. The
'supervisor' kept insisting that if the latest motherboard replacement
doesn't work then I should send the machine in to Dell for a more
complete investigation! I am so frustrated but I am at a loss as to how
to get what I want. At the least I want them to increase the warranty
period for another year. They need to stand behind their product.
Finally he promised that he would speak to his 'superiors' and get back
to me by Friday. I kept track of badge numbers and names. Any
suggestions Tom?

Thanks for your advice,

Doug

Tom Scales wrote:

I think you'd be surprised. I had an 18-month-old Dell Latitude LT that

was
just junk. They replaced motherboards, keyboards and the whole

machine --
twice. Still junk. Just a lousy design. It was their first ultralight
(made by Sharp). Finally they wanted to replace it again and I firmly

said
no. I suggested that they replace it with a newer model and I'd pay

some
reasonable difference since it was better. They replaced it with the

LS. I
went from a Pentium-266 to a Pentium 3-400. They didn't charge me

anything.

Firm, polite works.

Tom
"D Mitchell" wrote in message
Tom Scales wrote:

I doubt if it will come to that. Just call customer care and ask for

supervisor and be firm but polite. Getting a new one shouldn't be

that
hard -- they've done it for me.

Tom

Thanks for the reply Tom. I want to do this right. I haven't really
thought too much about the 'lemoness' of this laptop as the warranty

has
looked after its many problems but I resent having to possibly ditch

the
machine one day soon after the warranty expires in late August. I am
looking at the repair receipts : Since July 2002:

4 keyboards, 3 motherboards, 1 modem, 1 heat sink. And they have sent
another motherboard for next week to fix the problem that the machine
wont run off of wall power.

I find it hard to believe that they will replace this 2 and a half

year
old machine. But I would like an extension on the warranty. What do

you
think?

Doug

"D Mitchell" wrote in message
I bought my Inspiron 3800 three years ago this coming August.

Ill
have
to look but I think I have had replaced 4 motherboards, 3

keyboards,
1
modem jack. I called in today and there is another motherboard

come.
The need for replacements is accelerating. And when my warranty

expires
I will not be able to maintain the laptop if another mother

board is
needed. Who might I talk to at Dell to explain the very spotty

history
of this laptop? Because of these many problems I am convinced

this
machine will meet its end the day after the warranty goes. Not

fair.

Old June 24th 03, 12:31 AM
Joan

Tom, its getting close to August as I recall. I think he should put all
the information in writing, including the last conversation where they
may want him to send the system back. Give them until Friday, no call
or more dragging their feet, mail all the information by certified mail,
return receipt requested to:

Dell Corporate Office, Michael Dell
Better Business Bureau in Texas and his own State
Attorney General of the State of Texas and his own State.

Mr. Mitchell certainly has patient. After the second motherboard
replacement I would have done the above.

Joan

PS: cc: make sure the original letter indicates each person you have
sent a copy of this letter. Also include the certification # for each.

Old June 24th 03, 07:35 PM
Irene

Doug, I strongly suggest that you take Joan's recommendation.

Only, I would not wait until Friday. I would write and send those

letters immediately.

In addition, I would make a notarized copy of the letter that you

send to Dell. Have both the letter and the sealed envelope

notarized.

Then mail it to yourself, using certified mail. DO NOT open it.

Keep it in case you need to prove what was in the letter that

you mailed to Dell.

It is truly a shame, that any one should have to go to these

lengths in order to get a VERY obviously defective product

replaced.

But apparently, that is how far Dell's backing of it's products has

sunk.

It is the prime reason, that at least for the foreseeable future, we

will no longer be buying Dell computers.

Irene