Mobo problems

Old April 25th 04, 10:07 PM
Lews-Therin

Default Mobo problems

for future reference just in case this happens again i'd like to know if
it's a problem i can fix or not, but as it stands, it's easier to ship it
back and get a new board... so here goes with the problem,

i just bought these comp. components.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Gigabyte K8VT800-Pro
Radeon 9800 Pro

i thought it's all well and good, big upgrade from my
Athlon XP 1800+
ASUS A7S333
GeForce 4MX 440

so i get this stuff in the mail, i'm all excited but once i get it installed
in my case, i get no power to the components on the mobo, just the fans get
whirring away, and my HD's make some noise, but my Radeon's not putting any
video out to my monitor, so i thought it was just that that was ****ed.so i
put in my old GeForce card, and low and behold, it's fan wasn't running, so
i figured it was just a lack of power, went from a 300W PSU to a 480 PSU,
thinking that'd solve the problem, but no, still no power, i've checked all
the FAQ in the MOBO manual, and it says nothing about it, i've read the
manual from front to back, with no mention, tech support can't figure it
out, maybe there's something on the board i'm missing?

anyways the short and sweet of it is i've had all the stuff plugged into the
mobo that needed to, both power plugs, the 4 pin +12V, and the ATX many many
pin one that's standard on all boards now... i had all my jumpers set the
way they were from factory shipping, i've heard no beeps nothing, is it
maybe just a broken processor? like could the core have gotten cracked? i
heard that was a problem with the Athlon XP chips, i had a techhy put that
chip in this comp, i did the rest cause i was paranoid about putting it,
maybe for good reason :-s

thanks for any help

Old April 25th 04, 11:51 PM
~misfit~

Lews-Therin wrote:
[...]

Are you an experienced PC builder/troubleshoter? Did you build you old
machine? (And if you did why the hell did you buy a GF4 MX440? They're
usually the card that system builders throw in so they can say "It's got a
GF4 in it") Is your RAM compatable? It's hard to judge your level of PC
building experience and knowledge from your post.
--
~misfit~

Old April 25th 04, 11:53 PM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:07:08 GMT, "Lews-Therin"
wrote:

anyways the short and sweet of it is i've had all the stuff plugged into the
mobo that needed to, both power plugs, the 4 pin +12V, and the ATX many many
pin one that's standard on all boards now... i had all my jumpers set the
way they were from factory shipping, i've heard no beeps nothing, is it
maybe just a broken processor? like could the core have gotten cracked? i
heard that was a problem with the Athlon XP chips, i had a techhy put that
chip in this comp, i did the rest cause i was paranoid about putting it,
maybe for good reason :-s

It would REALLY have to be cracked not to work.
I have a pretty big chip missing from my first Athlon 1000 XP, I got
years ago which I chipped and it still runs. Im using it on a second
PC. Since then I havent chipped any chips. I really doubt the
processor is chipped.

My bet is theres some goofy thing you overlooked or you just have to
try it again several times and be patient and clear the CMOS.

Believe me Ive read the same problems over and over at various
websites which spooked me. I thought there were massive compatiblity
problems. But then ALL my boards and the ones Ive ordered for people I
know - Abit, ASUS and Leadtek seem to all kind of behave weird
sometimes. They have the classic strange dead motherboard syndrome.
And then every once in a while go wacko. Ive gotten them to all work
by clearing the CMOS sometimes several times and even taking out the
battery and cleaning the surface and putting it back.

They all work fine now.

Thats not say there isnt something wrong with yours or you might be
doing something obviously wrong I dont know about , you may have
gotten a bad MB or whatever but Ive seen tons of posts just like yours
and all my recent stuff acts that way too. I could swear its dead or
defective at first. And theres a lot of refurbs on sale at various
places that seem to work OK.

Old April 26th 04, 01:32 AM
Cerridwen

Lews-Therin wrote:
for future reference just in case this happens again i'd like to know
if it's a problem i can fix or not, but as it stands, it's easier to
ship it back and get a new board... so here goes with the problem,

i just bought these comp. components.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Gigabyte K8VT800-Pro
Radeon 9800 Pro

i thought it's all well and good, big upgrade from my
Athlon XP 1800+
ASUS A7S333
GeForce 4MX 440

I think the answer's simple - not enough juice. Unless your PSU was 450W+
(which would have been overkill for your old system), there simply isn't
enough power getting to the components. Simple answer - upgrade your PSU
(and make sure you buy a quality brand - a dime store generic could - and
possibly will - do some serious damage).

ACHI-150 mobo problems Graeme General 11 February 10th 04 12:21 PM
RAM or mobo problems? AMK General 7 November 15th 03 07:14 AM
Asus mobo problems... AMK General 0 November 7th 03 10:10 PM
Peculiar RAM problems with an old Asus mobo setup?!? Darth Joules General 7 October 16th 03 07:48 PM
Mobo problems fixed -- now I'm getting a STOP error Cyde Weys General 3 July 15th 03 03:46 AM