flashing led on a compaq evo

Old November 4th 05, 03:32 AM
Cliff Hartle

Default flashing led on a compaq evo

I have a Evo desktop that appeared to have a blown power supply. I replaced
the power supply and now the power led is flashing at a one second interval
when turned on.

What I can find on the internet points to a bad ROM and one poster had this
problem and flashed the BIOS to fix it.

I reset the CMOS with no change. How can I flash the BIOS when the computer
doesn't even start to POST?

The power supply fan turns for about 1/2 a second and then the led starts
its flashing.

Thanks

Old November 9th 05, 09:42 PM
Mark

Cliff Hartle wrote:
I have a Evo desktop that appeared to have a blown power supply. I replaced
the power supply and now the power led is flashing at a one second interval
when turned on.

What I can find on the internet points to a bad ROM and one poster had this
problem and flashed the BIOS to fix it.

I reset the CMOS with no change. How can I flash the BIOS when the computer
doesn't even start to POST?

The power supply fan turns for about 1/2 a second and then the led starts
its flashing.

Thanks

I don't have an Evo, so the best I can offer is a few possible
tie-breakers than might help.

When this type of thing happens it generally means that the supply
turned on, but found a condition it did not like: an accidental
over-voltage on an output, an over-current on a connected device, or
some similar problem. The LED flashing could indicate a periodic
"retry", or may just be a bit of smarts that indicates an error
condition. Since you've replaced the supply, perhaps it's reacting
to some kind of external overload (i.e., over-current) rather than a
power supply problem (output over-voltage). Try disconnecting the
supply from things that might do so: disk drives, CD drives, or even by
removing PCI cards. Will it power up then? If so, you can selectively
restore power (power-down in between of course!) to devices to find the
culprit. I did find one posting from an Evo owner who discovered that a
bad hard drive was dragging the main supply into shutdown with results
like yours.

The other possibilities are less attractive... the failure of the
previous supply may have damaged the motherboard, the replacement
supply may have a problem itself, and so on. That'll be a lot harder
to figure out without things to "swap out", so I wish you better
luck!

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 May 29th 05 07:18 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM