How to print a file from the command line? Epson, Brother

Old March 7th 17, 11:14 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
micky

Default How to print a file from the command line? Epson, Brother

Is there a command line that would print one picture from my files using
an Epson printer?
a Brother printer?

I should have thought of this earlier, but I need something to keep the
ink jet printers from drying out while I'm gone. Isn't 11 weeks enough
time to do that?

I thought I'd make a bat file that would run once a month that would
print, I guess, the same photo each time, but it's only 2 copies.

TIA
Old March 7th 17, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Paul[_28_]

micky wrote:
Is there a command line that would print one picture from my files using
an Epson printer?
a Brother printer?

I should have thought of this earlier, but I need something to keep the
ink jet printers from drying out while I'm gone. Isn't 11 weeks enough
time to do that?

I thought I'd make a bat file that would run once a month that would
print, I guess, the same photo each time, but it's only 2 copies.

TIA

The cartridges should cap themselves when in the parked position.
Something has to cover the orifices, or they'd clog even faster
than that.

I use mine less frequently than that, and don't have a problem.

If I print once a year, the cartridges might clog after
about four years or so.

Some printer brands, if you leave them powered (whether it's
USB power or a line cord), and the LED is on, the printer
will "purge" itself about once a day. By the time you get
back from your trip, the carts would be pumped dry. So
that's not exactly a "cheap" option. That's maintenance
to an impractical level.

Paul
Old March 7th 17, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager[_4_]

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 17:14:31 -0500, micky wrote:

Is there a command line that would print one picture from my files using
an Epson printer?
a Brother printer?

I should have thought of this earlier, but I need something to keep the
ink jet printers from drying out while I'm gone. Isn't 11 weeks enough
time to do that?

I thought I'd make a bat file that would run once a month that would
print, I guess, the same photo each time, but it's only 2 copies.

TIA

Easy enough to print a text file, perhaps if you set that up for a bit of
each colour?

use the PRINT command ...

However, leaving it on is going to use up the ink anyway, from auto
purging. I'd take the cartridges out, wrap them in cling film and see
what happens.
Old March 7th 17, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Char Jackson

wrote:

Is there a command line that would print one picture from my files using
an Epson printer?
a Brother printer?

I should have thought of this earlier, but I need something to keep the
ink jet printers from drying out while I'm gone. Isn't 11 weeks enough
time to do that?

I thought I'd make a bat file that would run once a month that would
print, I guess, the same photo each time, but it's only 2 copies.

TIA

I recently did this for a friend. I created a basic task in Task
Scheduler, set it to run every Monday morning at 10:00 AM, and entered
this command string:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /k /n "EPSON Stylus Photo R220 Series"

Where, obviously, her printer name is "EPSON Stylus Photo R220 Series"

You can test it by running it from a cmd prompt, inserting your printer
instead of her Epson.

In fact, just run "rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /?" from a cmd
prompt to get a pop-up window with all of the possible command line
switches. You'll see what /k and /n really mean.

The full command prints a standard printer test page rather than an
image or other document. As for the frequency of the print, that's what
she wanted. I think weekly might be too often. The standard test page
doesn't use a whole lot of ink, especially colored ink, so I thought it
would be a good choice. Plus, that 'document' is always available and
can't be deleted since it's built in, so there's some safety there.

Old March 8th 17, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Tue, 07 Mar 2017 17:14:31 -0500, micky
wrote:

Is there a command line that would print one picture from my files using
an Epson printer?
a Brother printer?

I should have thought of this earlier, but I need something to keep the
ink jet printers from drying out while I'm gone. Isn't 11 weeks enough
time to do that?

I thought I'd make a bat file that would run once a month that would
print, I guess, the same photo each time, but it's only 2 copies.

TIA

Well, I found something for brother that probably applies to Epson too!

Linux Informations
Print command (LPR)
Print Command :
lpr -P (printer name) (filename)

Configuration Command :
brprintconf_(model name) [Option]

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/li...ions_lpr11.pdf
but I don't think I need any of these options.

However when I try this in a bat file, it says: Unknown command: LPR

I found something called LPR.exe in the side by side directory, but it
says it won't run on a 64-bit computer. I don't think this is the right
thing anyhow.
Old March 8th 17, 01:44 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on 7 Mar 2017 22:42:09 GMT, Bob Eager
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 17:14:31 -0500, micky wrote:

Is there a command line that would print one picture from my files using
an Epson printer?
a Brother printer?

I should have thought of this earlier, but I need something to keep the
ink jet printers from drying out while I'm gone. Isn't 11 weeks enough
time to do that?

I thought I'd make a bat file that would run once a month that would
print, I guess, the same photo each time, but it's only 2 copies.

TIA

Easy enough to print a text file, perhaps if you set that up for a bit of
each colour?

use the PRINT command ...

However, leaving it on is going to use up the ink anyway, from auto
purging. I'd take the cartridges out, wrap them in cling film and see
what happens.

Won't that allow the parts in the printer to dry out from the top?
Old March 8th 17, 03:16 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
micky

wrote:

Is there a command line that would print one picture from my files using
an Epson printer?
a Brother printer?

I should have thought of this earlier, but I need something to keep the
ink jet printers from drying out while I'm gone. Isn't 11 weeks enough
time to do that?

I thought I'd make a bat file that would run once a month that would
print, I guess, the same photo each time, but it's only 2 copies.

TIA

I recently did this for a friend. I created a basic task in Task
Scheduler, set it to run every Monday morning at 10:00 AM, and entered
this command string:

This is great. Thank you. But the test page that came out was all
black with a little blue. I'll look myself but I'm posting now because
I have to finish tonight.

IIUC black uses a little color, but is that true for both Epson and
Brother. Is it enough? I suppose so.

Old March 8th 17, 03:33 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
micky

Never mind. I found a spectrum image** on the web, copied it to a file,
cropped out the black parts, and unless there is no way to specify a
file to be printed, I can print it.

**Under color test page epson and t hat yielded
www.inkguides.com/page-print-test.asp

Thanks a lot.

Old March 8th 17, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Boris[_5_]

Char Jackson wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Worked great on my "Brother HL-2270DW series" printer. Printed a test
page from this XP machine over my home network to the wireless Brother
in another room.

In fact, just run "rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /?" from a cmd
prompt to get a pop-up window with all of the possible command line
switches. You'll see what /k and /n really mean.

Cool.

Old March 8th 17, 04:56 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Char Jackson

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017 03:12:41 -0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

Char Jackson wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Excellent! Thanks for reporting your results. My friend is happy with
her weekly prints, as well. It looks like micky found another solution,
so all is well.