Lenovo 110S - Making a Recovery Disc

Old March 9th 17, 02:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Boris[_5_]

Default Lenovo 110S - Making a Recovery Disc

My son bought a Lenovo 110S Ideapad at Best Buy for $130.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-i...-laptop-intel-
celeron-2gb-memory-32gb-emmc-flash-memory-white/5580020.p?skuId=5580020

It's a very basic laptop, and he will use it for email and browsing for
guitar tabs.

He wants to either erase the entire solid state drive, and install
Linux, or leave the existing solid state intact and run Linux off of a
microSD card. I told him this would involve learning how to work with a
UEFI, which is new to him, and the UEFI may not even allow booting from
an external source.

Anyway, I recommended that he first make a recovery copy of the entire
solid state drive, including the hidden factory partition before he
starts experimenting. But, I pulled up the Lenovo manual he

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer...d_s110_ug_v1.0
_english.pdf

It is a bit confusing as to whether or not a recovery copy can be made
on a thumb drive or only on optical discs.

In one section, pg. 25:

"...you can back up the system partition on the hard disk
drive, other storage devices, or by creating recovery discs."

Next, on pg. 26:

"Note:If your computer does not come with an in tegrated optical drive
or if the integrated optical drive does not support disc creating,
connect an appropriate external optical drive to your computer."

If I had the laptop here, I'd just start the making a recovery disc
process, and see if it allows use of a microSD card, or a thumb drive.

Anyone know what is true?

Old March 9th 17, 06:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Boris wrote:
[...]

The 110s does not use the S110 manual. The S110 is a Win7 era
computer. The 110s is a Windows 10 era computer.

*******

The RecoveryDrive.exe program is written by Microsoft and
you'll notice it doesn't have Lenovo branding.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/p...tions/HT117511

When I tested that here, it uses a USB flash key.

The size of key needed is variable, as a function of the
OEM software content. When I tested on my generic 14393 Release
system, it all fit on an 8GB key. The instructions on that
Lenovo page recommend a 16GB key. It should also execute for you
faster, if it is using the WIM file already on the machine.
In my case, it might have taken 20 minutes or more just
to compress the content to make the WIM. Normally, the
compressor Microsoft uses is multi-threaded, whereas the
one in RecoveryDrive seemed to be single-threaded. And it
could not take advantage of any extra cores.

You can practice, by using Start : Run : Recoverydrive.exe
on your own Win10 machine, but be aware that if ReagentC
is not wired up properly, the utility will fail. And in my
case, the USB key created, installs 14393.0, not 14393.693,
so if restoring from that key, I would still need to download
at least another 1GB of files to complete the update to current
support level.

The Lenovo image created, could be 10240 or 10586. If it was
created from a live and up-to-date C: , it would be 14393. As images,
these should not expired. However, the winload.exe or winload.efi
on the key, that file is signed, and the signing can expire
on those in some cases. That's not likely to happen, but
I only mention it as a theoretical possibility (i.e. I've
seen it happen here). The fact such an architectural hole
exist, concerns me (customer thinks their ass is covered,
inserts recovery media, media won't boot, customer busts
a blood vessel).

Paul
Old March 16th 17, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Boris[_5_]

Paul wrote in news
Boris wrote:
[...]

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/p...-netbooks/100-

se
ries/110-15IBR/solutions/HT117511

[...]

My son was home for a few days. Here's what he did to get Linux running
on this Lenovo 110S. Basically, he followed the instruction manual
(:-). He did not wipe any of the solid state drive, either OS or
recovery partition, since he decided to run Linux off of a USB drive.

He copied Linux Lite to a USB 3.0 drive, and set it aside.

He pressed the 'Novo' button to get to the BIOS settings, and changed
from UEFI to Legacy, and set to boot from USB.

If he wants to run Linux, he plugs in the USB drive, and starts the
laptop..

If he wants to run Windows 10, he unplugs the USB drive, and starts the
laptop..

Old April 4th 17, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Boris[_5_]

Boris wrote in
09.88:

Paul wrote in news

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer...b/ideapad_s110

[...]

Well, my son sort of "bricked" his Lenovo notebook. He had Linux Lite
working fine when booting off the Linux Lite USB, and Win10 working fine
when booting without the USB inserted.. He liked Linux a lot because it
ran so much faster than Win10, but the Lite version runs only off the
USB and RAM. Any program that he ran while in Linux Lite (browsers,
email, Skype), had to be reloaded each Lite session.

He decided that he wanted to install a more permanent Linux version on
the SSD, and in order to do this, wanted to delete the Win10 partition
and install a Linux version there. He didn't want to touch the recovery
partition.

Here we go...yes, he deleted the recovery partition. He doesn't
remember if missed a screen warning, if there was even a screen warning,
or if there was but he acted too quickly (muscle memory (:-) ).

At any rate, now he can only boot up Linux Lite off of the USB. He is
getting with a more experienced Linux/hardware friend to load a more
permanent version of Linux.

No, he didn't make a recovery USB. We laughed. Oh, to be young and
care free.