Off Lease Latitudes

Old February 24th 17, 11:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default Off Lease Latitudes

Hi,

A friend's son needs a cheap (used is ok) laptop for email and browsing.
I was looking at the off lease latitudes. I realize that these are
heavy, the battery life is probably 'iffy', and there are cosmetic
blemishes through use. The screen is anti-glare. I also know that
these do not come with OS discs, but they do come with 32bit Windows 7
Pro. They come with a 100 day warranty, but a 15% rstocking charge if
you return. I have some questions before I make a suggestion to my
neighbor.

Have any of you any experience with off lease latitudes?

Since these are previously leased, is it likely that the recovery
partition is still active so that one could make a copy of the installed
OS?

How old are these machines? They look like the same latitudes you get
today, but with lesser processors from a few years ago.

The ones that seem to fit his needs are the 15" E5530 at $177 and the
14" E5430 at $199.

What I find interesting is that i3 or i5 processor/hard drive size/RAM
size doesn't change the price as long as you stay within the same screen
size

Here's one I've been looking at:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/za66u5c

Comments?

TIA
Old February 25th 17, 10:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
dg1261

Boris wrote in
09.88:

Since these are previously leased, is it likely that the recovery
partition is still active so that one could make a copy of the
installed OS?

How old are these machines? They look like the same latitudes you get
today, but with lesser processors from a few years ago.

The ones that seem to fit his needs are the 15" E5530 at $177 and the
14" E5430 at $199.

The link you posted says they come with a recovery partition. I don't
know if that would be the *original* recovery partition from when they
were leased--I would think most leased machines are to corporations who
would probably have used their own customized image instead of a recovery
partition. But whether it had one or not, Dell probably just wipes the
drive completely and slaps on their standard drive partitions anew.

In the E-series Latitudes, the second digit indicated screen size and the
third digit indicated model generation. Thus, the E5430 was a 14" model
with a 3rd-generation Intel Core i3/5/7 CPU. The 3rd-generation models
were released in 2012.

As for the choice between the 14" and 15" Latitudes, I prefer the 14"
models because I like the keyboards better. The 15" keyboards have the
extra number pad on the right side, which I never use and which pushes me
over to typing on the left two-thirds of the keyboard. I've used both,
and the 14" keyboards are more comfortable to me.

What is the screen resolution on the 15" you're considering? I note the
14" you linked to has a 1600x900 screen, which is higher than the usual
1366x768. Perhaps that partially accounts for the higher price of the
14"? I prefer the higher resolution screens, so that would be my choice.
(The higher resolution screen was an upgrade option, so don't assume all
E5430s have the 1600x900 screen.)

Off-lease machines usually haven't been lovingly cared for, considering
they were used by people who didn't own them, but that's reflected in the
price. But I've bought a few over the years, and not had any undue
problems. I wouldn't buy from a third party, though, I'd stick to those
sold by a Dell subsidiary, as in your link.

Old February 25th 17, 06:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

dg1261 wrote in
09.88:

Boris wrote in
09.88:

Since these are previously leased, is it likely that the recovery
partition is still active so that one could make a copy of the
installed OS?

How old are these machines? They look like the same latitudes you
get today, but with lesser processors from a few years ago.

The ones that seem to fit his needs are the 15" E5530 at $177 and the
14" E5430 at $199.

The link you posted says they come with a recovery partition. I don't
know if that would be the *original* recovery partition from when they
were leased--I would think most leased machines are to corporations
who would probably have used their own customized image instead of a
recovery partition. But whether it had one or not, Dell probably just
wipes the drive completely and slaps on their standard drive
partitions anew.

Which would be good.

In the E-series Latitudes, the second digit indicated screen size and
the third digit indicated model generation. Thus, the E5430 was a 14"
model with a 3rd-generation Intel Core i3/5/7 CPU. The 3rd-generation
models were released in 2012.

As for the choice between the 14" and 15" Latitudes, I prefer the 14"
models because I like the keyboards better. The 15" keyboards have the
extra number pad on the right side, which I never use and which pushes
me over to typing on the left two-thirds of the keyboard. I've used
both, and the 14" keyboards are more comfortable to me.

Good point. Personally, I also prefer a 14",

What is the screen resolution on the 15" you're considering? I note
the 14" you linked to has a 1600x900 screen, which is higher than the
usual 1366x768. Perhaps that partially accounts for the higher price
of the 14"? I prefer the higher resolution screens, so that would be
my choice. (The higher resolution screen was an upgrade option, so
don't assume all E5430s have the 1600x900 screen.)

Most likely. I own a 15" Dell with 1366x768, and a 13" Dell with
1920x1080. Of course it's a smaller form factor, but the 13" resolution
is very nice. My choice in a 14" would also be the 1600x900.
Definitely worth the additional $$.

Off-lease machines usually haven't been lovingly cared for,
considering they were used by people who didn't own them, but that's
reflected in the price. But I've bought a few over the years, and not
had any undue problems. I wouldn't buy from a third party, though, I'd
stick to those sold by a Dell subsidiary, as in your link.

Thanks for the reply