Suggestions for replacement Burner and Media?

Old September 25th 04, 11:45 PM
Bill

Default Suggestions for replacement Burner and Media?

After unsatisfactory results with a Lite-On SOHW-812s, I am looking
for a better DVD+/-R recorder.

The following burners are within my budget and have good reviews by
previous buyers.

Pioneer Model DVR-108 DVD+RW/-RW Drive,
NEC Model ND-3500A 16X Double Layer DVD±RW
Lite-On Model SOHW-1633S 16X DVD Dual Drive

My criteria for the replacement unit:

1. Most of my burning is data files, e.g. ZIP, TIF, MPG, MP3
and system backups from my hard drive to DVD-R and CDR.

2. I burn very few video DVD-R now, but may burn more movies
in future.

3. I require consistently error-free write/read reliability
at rated media speed.(4x-8x DVD+/-R and 32x-40x CDR)
Note: I do not use RW media of any type

4. Unit will coexist on IDE1 with a CDRW-DVDROM Combo drive.
(DVD burner = Master, CDRW = Slave)

5. Hard drives are on IDE0: 2x 80GB, 7200rpm, 40GB free space

Based on what I've read so far, I'm leaning strongly toward purchasing
the Pioneer at this moment.

Out of Ritek-RIDATA, Fuji and Imation DVD-R media of the 4x and 8x
speeds, which are the best? I'm not partial to DVD-R and am
considering DVD+R media and will consider DVD+R if it can give me
better performance at equal cost. Suggestions?

Lastly, I presently have a spindle of Maxell 4x DVD-R (Yellow label).
Are these any good? I notice an irregular "glue-like" ridge extending
along the outer circumference of these disks. Is this normal?

Thanks for any and all comments!

Old September 26th 04, 03:03 AM
Hopscotch Whiskey

Without a doubt the pioneer. Fuji made in japan would be the choice as they
cost more for that reason. Imation is garbage. I would never use -R discs
for anything only +R discs even with the W. I would never use -RW only +RW
the -R and -RW discs will split in due time.

Old September 26th 04, 06:04 AM
Bill

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:03:39 -0400, "Hopscotch Whiskey"
TheBoozeCruise@justpassingby wrote:

Without a doubt the pioneer.

Noted.

Fuji made in japan would be the choice as they
cost more for that reason.

Are those DVD's actually made by T-Y? I normally purchase only
Fuji/T-Y media for my CDR. If their DVD media is the same quality,
I'll definitely buy it!

Imation is garbage.

Noted.

I would never use -R discs
for anything only +R discs even with the W.

Why not? -R discs are as physically robust as any other. I've never
heard of them splitting and they have been around *longer* than +R
media. In fact, -R are recommended for better compatibility with older
video gear, which, hoever, is an issue which doesn't affect me.

(I'd think splitting would be a defect in *manufacturing* not in the
actual media process).

I would never use -RW only +RW
the -R and -RW discs will split in due time.

I have no use for RW discs anyway. I don't use InCD or any similar
filesystem, and burn only complete, finalized discs. I believe the
real issue with RW media is of it's reliability over time and
erasure/re-use cycles, and of the incremental packet file system which
often errs out resulting in lost data.

Regards,

Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
After unsatisfactory results with a Lite-On SOHW-812s, I am looking
for a better DVD+/-R recorder.

snip