PC memory Test under stress ?

Old January 22nd 04, 04:34 PM
Julio Cabezas

Default PC memory Test under stress ?

I read old postings here and understand that so far as pure software
memory testing can be good there are some options of programs like
Memtest86, GoldMemory and others that do a very good although not
perfect work in finding hardware memory defects.
It is a fact also that some memory defects only could arise in
conditions of computer stress (temperature, voltage, etc...) that
probably these programs do not produce.
The question is: How we could combine voltage, temperature (and
maybe other) stresses with tough memory test ?
Is there any application or combo of applications that could be
used ?
Ability to check CPU temperature at the same time would be nice as
it would be a prof of stress.
Do you guys have heard or know something like that ?

Thanks.
Old January 22nd 04, 04:56 PM
JAD

Wow wouldn't that be nice... its always been an instinctive thing with me and memory errors.... run the basic software tests...and
observe the symptoms....educate a guess...try a different module. All else fails, go to the local comp tech to plug it in a Hardware
mem tester and if it fails, I'll buy my new stick from him. I've only had to do this a few times, I have had good luck in figuring
it out without memory checkers, my ouija board works pretty good ;^)

Old January 22nd 04, 05:33 PM
S.Heenan

Julio Cabezas wrote:
I read old postings here and understand that so far as pure software
memory testing can be good there are some options of programs like
Memtest86, GoldMemory and others that do a very good although not
perfect work in finding hardware memory defects.
It is a fact also that some memory defects only could arise in
conditions of computer stress (temperature, voltage, etc...) that
probably these programs do not produce.
The question is: How we could combine voltage, temperature (and
maybe other) stresses with tough memory test ?
Is there any application or combo of applications that could be
used ?
Ability to check CPU temperature at the same time would be nice as
it would be a prof of stress.
Do you guys have heard or know something like that ?

Take your computer to the local daycare. Amazing the number of failure modes
three year-olds can (re)produce.

Prime95 is very good for stressing the memory and processor. In most cases,
it will error out in a few minutes if something is amiss. Second choice
would be the SiSoft SANDRA burn in tests, left running 24/7. Yet another is
3DMark2001SE. Use MBM5 to keep track of temperatures.

www.mersenne.org

http://www.sisoftware.net/

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/