Is something wrong with this?

Old December 10th 06, 09:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
felix

Default Is something wrong with this?

Hi!

A7V600
AMD XP 2500+
RAM Kingston 512 MB

Here is the output from Asus probe (NO LOAD):

Ext clock 166 MHz
Current speed 1833 MHz
in BIOS set to OPTIMAL speed
BIOS rev. 09/02/2004

CPU 46 / 114 C/F
MB 31 / 87 C/F

+12V 12,288V
+ 5V 4,811V
+ 3,3V 3,04-3,056V
1,76 Vcore (BIOS 1,63V)
-----------------------

Ext clock 200 MHz
Current speed 2200 MHz
in BIOS set to OPTIMAL speed

CPU 51 / 123 C/F
MB 32 / 89 C/F

+12V 12,352 - 12,416V 99% of time 2nd value
+ 5V 4,757 - 4,784V --------II-----------
+ 3,3V 3,04-3,056V 99& of time 1st value
1,76 Vcore (BIOS 1,63V)

All components dafault - no improvements.

Thank you.
Old December 10th 06, 06:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul

felix wrote:
[...]

The power supply could have a spec on the label, saying what
percentage of error is acceptable. If it does not, here is a
table of allowed values from a copy of the standards from
formfactors.org .

Table 3. DC Output Voltage Regulation
Output Range Min. Nom. Max. Unit
+12VDC (1) ±5% +11.40 +12.00 +12.60 Volts
+5VDC ±5% +4.75 +5.00 +5.25 Volts
+3.3VDC ±5% +3.14 +3.30 +3.47 Volts
-5VDC ±10% -4.50 -5.00 -5.50 Volts
-12VDC ±10% -10.80 -12.00 -13.20 Volts
+5VSB ±5% +4.75 +5.00 +5.25 Volts
(1) At +12 VDC peak loading, regulation at the +12VDC output
can go to ±10%.

Your motherboard draws processor power from +5V. That means
+5V is the most heavily loaded. The +12V is only used to
power hard drives, fans, and perhaps the video card if the
card has an Aux connector.

But your 3.3V is the one that is out of spec. Some power
supplies tie the outputs together via turns ratio, and the
supply doesn't have the ability to correct for any possible
with a "cross regulation" diagram, which shows how
asymmetric the loading can be, and the supply still stay
within the regulation limits stated in the above table.

I suspect you did not collect your data above, under
the most stressful conditions. You should have used
Speedfan or MBM5 to read the voltages, and collected
voltage readings while in Windows. Then, fire up a copy
of Prime95 (mersenne.org) and used the "torture test" option.
That loads the processor at 100% loading. That would cause
your power supply voltages to drop even further.

Using Prime95 would also give a realistic picture of your
Vcore voltage. The Asus load line for Vcore, will generally
overvolt above the BIOS setting a bit, when there is no
load on the processor. Your 1.76V value is a bit more
overvolt than normal, but not enough to cause a panic.
(With a BIOS 1.65 setting, I might expect to see 1.68 to
1.70 readout.) But the real test for Vcore, is when
Prime95 is running. Vcore is allowed to drop (the
drop is by design, and is called a load line, and
the load line is actually specified in the processor
data sheet, so it is supposed to drop like that).
You will then find the measured Vcore value is lower
than the setting in the BIOS.

I would prefer to see your Prime95 voltage readings before
passing judgement, but I expect if you did that test, you'd
find the power supply is way out of spec.

You need to buy a power supply with good 5V rating. Many
modern supplies place the emphasis on +12V. But your
board doesn't even have the ATX12V 2x2 connector, so
a modern supply is half wasted for such an application.
This supply is an example of a good substitute. The
combined 3.3V and 5V loading, is allowed to be 185W,
which should handle a 5V @ 20A load quite easily.

ENERMAX EG365P-VE FMA 1.3 ATX 350W

The 24 pin connector on that power supply, comes apart into
two pieces. A 4 pin section on one end, slides off the
body of the connector, leaving a 20 pin section that you
plug into your motherboard.

And in case you think power ratings are all covered by
the overall power rating of the power supply, here is
a 600W power supply. The 3.3V and 5V current ratings
on this supply, are slightly lower than those on the
Enermax above. Most of your money spent on this supply,
goes into providing more +12V, which is not needed for
your application. The high voltage readings for +12V
in your posting, tell me you are not using very much
12V. So a supply like this is a waste.

HTH,
Paul
Old December 14th 06, 06:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Bill Hopkins

felix wrote:
[...]

2200MHz was very easy to obtain with the Barton 2500+, using stock voltages.

My best was something like 2460MHz on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.