AMD fans

Old October 7th 06, 01:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Zilla

Default AMD fans

I'm replacing my Palomino with a Barton CPU; the chip itself on the
Palomino is square, while the Barton is rectangular. I believe my
current fan came with the Palomino CPU, so it has a square pad
underneath. Will the fan work for the Barton too, or am I better off
buying a new fan?

- Zilla

Old October 7th 06, 03:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

You must remove the old pad, then if the heatsink will cover the cpu
properly you're ok. You can use a thin coating of thermal grease after
getting everything real clean with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old October 7th 06, 07:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 17:11:49 -0700, Zilla wrote:

I'm replacing my Palomino with a Barton CPU; the chip itself on the
Palomino is square, while the Barton is rectangular. I believe my
current fan came with the Palomino CPU, so it has a square pad
underneath. Will the fan work for the Barton too, or am I better off
buying a new fan?

Buy a new cooler. TR2-M3 for about $8 will be a lot better and a lot
quieter.

Old October 10th 06, 12:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
~misfit~

Wes Newell wrote:
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 17:11:49 -0700, Zilla wrote:

I'm replacing my Palomino with a Barton CPU; the chip itself on the
Palomino is square, while the Barton is rectangular. I believe my
current fan came with the Palomino CPU, so it has a square pad
underneath. Will the fan work for the Barton too, or am I better off
buying a new fan?

Buy a new cooler. TR2-M3 for about $8 will be a lot better and a lot
quieter.

I'll second that, it's a brilliant cooler for socket A CPUs (and overkill
for socket 370). Using these drops CPU temp over 10°C on the three machines
I've fitted them to. Just a shame that, in New Zealand, they're nowhere near
as cheap as they are in the US.
--
Shaun.

Old December 14th 06, 11:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Rob

Zilla wrote:
I'm replacing my Palomino with a Barton CPU; the chip itself on the
Palomino is square, while the Barton is rectangular. I believe my
current fan came with the Palomino CPU, so it has a square pad
underneath. Will the fan work for the Barton too, or am I better off
buying a new fan?

A Socket A heatsink will work with the Barton.

Use 99% isopropyl alcohol, cotton swabs, and possibly the edge of a credit
card to remove the old phase change compound. Apply a very thin layer of
paste to the new die, the raised part only.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

Old December 14th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

"Rob" wrote in message
Zilla wrote:
I'm replacing my Palomino with a Barton CPU; the chip itself on the
Palomino is square, while the Barton is rectangular. I believe my
current fan came with the Palomino CPU, so it has a square pad
underneath. Will the fan work for the Barton too, or am I better off
buying a new fan?

A Socket A heatsink will work with the Barton.

Use 99% isopropyl alcohol, cotton swabs, and possibly the edge of a credit
card to remove the old phase change compound. Apply a very thin layer of
paste to the new die, the raised part only.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

Actually, in rare instances there's a raised (possibly round) copper insert
on the bottom of a heatsink that actually won't cover the entire Barton. Not
very often, though.

--
Ed Light

Bring the Troops Home: