Athlon 3000+ OC or not!?

Old December 1st 06, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Tobias K

Default Athlon 3000+ OC or not!?

Hi!

This is about a different Computer with an Athlon 3000+. Is it possible to
overclock it? Can you tell me, at what settings it can run safe?

Greetings

Tobias

Old December 1st 06, 06:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:49:01 +0100, Tobias K wrote:

This is about a different Computer with an Athlon 3000+. Is it possible to
overclock it? Can you tell me, at what settings it can run safe?

There's about 10 different Athlon 3000+ cpu's. Some will OC a little,
others (as in A64 939 cores) will OC a lot. Which one you got on what MB.

Old December 2nd 06, 11:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Tobias K

Hi!

The board is a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe.

I don't know which Athlon 3000+ it is. Can i find out without removing it
from the board?

By the way, how do i see that it runs overclocked? Will the bios show that
it is faster or will there remain a "Athlon 3000+" and the speed can be
found out by using benchmarks?

Greetings

Tobias

Old December 3rd 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
VanShania

If your overclocking that system thinking it will finally give you the power
that you've been missing, you will be disapointed. At best you can try
putting good dual channel ram of at least 1 gig(2 gigs at best) and see if
that helps with frustrating waits, or the better option just upgrade. For
you, going AM2 or the Core Duo(make sure its Core Duo, as Intel also has
Dual Core, which is a poor processor) is the best option. Ensure that your
new computer has at least 1 gig of ram and slap an Amd dual core AM2
processor in it. Then you will have a computer that performs(and don't
forget good hard drives with 16mb buffers).

--
Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
Stop Violence and Child Abuse.

A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939,AIW 9800 Pro 128mb
MSI 550 Pro, X-Fi, Pioneer 110D, 111D
Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire,2 Gb OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5
2XSATA 320gb Raid Edition, PATA 120Gb
XP MCE2005, 19in Viewsonic,BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
Games I'm Playing- Falcon 4, winSPWW2, winSPMBT, Call of Duty War Chest

Old December 3rd 06, 04:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 00:04:26 +0100, Tobias K wrote:

The board is a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe.
I don't know which Athlon 3000+ it is. Can i find out without removing it
from the board?

Well, that tells us it's an XP model of some kind.

By the way, how do i see that it runs overclocked? Will the bios show
that it is faster or will there remain a "Athlon 3000+" and the speed
can be found out by using benchmarks?

What's displayed by the bios on boot varies from one bios to another.
I'm not a windows user but you might try the cpu properties of device
manager. This could still be 3 or four different models, but they all
clock the same way. Mulitiplier times FSB clock = CPU core speed. Setting
for the FSB should be in the bios.

Old December 3rd 06, 08:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
oldwolf

Use CPUZ, or Crystal CPUID, (google is your friend). They will tell you
exactly which CPU you have. So will things like SiSoftSandra, or Everest
Home if you can still find it on the net.

Old December 13th 06, 01:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
atlien

If the board is an a7n8x then we know it's not an 64. They don't fit
on that board. It's probably Barton core. I OC'ed 3000+ to 2315mhz
before quitting. But that was when I was living in Alaska and was
homeless so my ambient was pretty good. j/k

Did OC to 2315, though. And on same board. I assume you are using
the 1013 bios which is the most recent official update. You CANNOT
move the multiplier on this board/cpu combination. If you go into
advanced chipset settings and change multiplier to "user
defined" it will allow you to change the multiplier but unless
you make a PHYSICAL hardware change
[b:6f01290090]ON THE PROCESSOR ITSELF[/b:6f01290090], the bios
changes will not go into effect. They will not register.

Without making the hardware change to the processor, the only thing
you can do with 3000+ Barton is move the cpu external frequency up,
change the memory frequency and adjust memory timings. I used 2.5, 3,
3, 11 in my OC.

The processor hardware change I'm talking about can be seen
here.
It does work. Will allow you to move both ext. freq. and multiplier
for higher OC.
Make sure you got your shutdown safeties on.
Keep your rig cool.