Question on Silkworm 2400 config

Old October 7th 03, 03:43 AM
Chris Fraser

Default Question on Silkworm 2400 config

Hi there all,

I'm pretty new to the SAN world and have some questions regarding the
configuration of our Brocade switch with some newly acquired Eurologics
JBODs.

Since the JBODs are not fabric away I think I need to setup zoning or
Quickloop or possibly both but the Brocade documentation has not left me
with a clear understanding of how to do either.

As I understand it I need to enable QL on the port that the JBOD is
connected to (port 6) and have the JBOD and the desired host (ServerA) in
the same zone (StorageArray1). Do I need to enable QL on the port that the
host is connected to as well (port 2)? As I understand it then this host
will not be able to use this HBA to participate in the fabric as it is
configured as part of a private loop. I would need to add a second HBA in a
second zone (AppServers) in order for that host to see the fabric aware
devices. The AppServer zone would contain all fabric aware devices.

Is it possible to configure the JBOD as part of a private loop but also have
that host's HBA particiapte in the fabric? Is this what Fabric Assist is
for?

I'm running version 2.6.0e and will be serving the JBOD to a Windows 2000
sp3 server.

Thanks

Old October 7th 03, 12:53 PM

"Chris Fraser" wrote in message news:CLpgb.28469$da3.4574@edtnps84...
[...]

Hi Chris,

Zoning is for separating each system part from others (e.g. nt hosts
should not "see" unix discs on a JBOD). What you simply have to do
during zoning configuration is to connect each single Host FC-HBA to
only that device(s) you really want to work with (Zoning could based
on device WWNN, device WWPN or switch port id). In a JBOD environment
each FC-disc has its own unique WWN (World Wide Name) and gets its own
8bit AL_PA (Arbitrated Loop Port Address), as you connected it to a
switch. This switch translated the unique AL_PA(s) into a unique 24bit
fabric address (8bit domain address + 8bit area address + 8bit AL_PA)
so that fabric hosts can work with these loop devices. Address
tranlation happens automatically in the switch, there is no need for
Quickloop license. QL is supposed to make private Hosts available for
fabrics, that means only if you still have ancient FC-HBAs that have
no FLOGI (Fabric Login) capabilities. Anyway, hosts that have made a
fabric login to the switch nameserver can communicate witch QL-devices
on other ports; QL hosts can only communicate in their private loop
(on the same switch). If you additional want that private loop hba
participating in the fabric you need Fabric Assists, as you said.

Rene
Old October 7th 03, 03:23 PM
Arne Joris

Chris Fraser wrote:
Hi there all,

I'm pretty new to the SAN world and have some questions regarding the
configuration of our Brocade switch with some newly acquired Eurologics
JBODs.

Since the JBODs are not fabric away I think I need to setup zoning or
Quickloop or possibly both but the Brocade documentation has not left me
with a clear understanding of how to do either.

Disks don't need to be fabric aware; they follow the Private Loop Direct Attach
spec (PLDA). Since the disks won't need to be talking to anyone that didn't
start the conversation with them, they don't need to know the fabric specifics.
So you should be able to simply plug your enclosure in a U or FL port.

As I understand it I need to enable QL on the port that the JBOD is
connected to (port 6) and have the JBOD and the desired host (ServerA) in
the same zone (StorageArray1). Do I need to enable QL on the port that the
host is connected to as well (port 2)? As I understand it then this host
will not be able to use this HBA to participate in the fabric as it is
configured as part of a private loop. I would need to add a second HBA in a
second zone (AppServers) in order for that host to see the fabric aware
devices. The AppServer zone would contain all fabric aware devices.

Is it possible to configure the JBOD as part of a private loop but also have
that host's HBA particiapte in the fabric? Is this what Fabric Assist is
for?

The HBA will be fabric aware (don't configure the port in QL mode !). You can
zone it with any ports attached to your switch, and it will be able to see them
(through the fabric's simple name service) and talk to them.

So in short, your initiator (HBA) must be able to log in to the fabric. Any
target-only devices can be as dumb as a post and need to know nothing about
fabrics; you should be able to plug all of them into switch ports in Universal
(U) mode and start zoning the ports. It's simple really.

Arne

Old October 7th 03, 04:39 PM
Chris Fraser

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling I've been trying to make it more
complicated than necessary.

As I understand it then, I do not need to configure QL at all and just need
to make sure my zoning (by port) is configured properly.

I would need a single zone containing ServerA + JBOD and then a second zone
for my other hosts that I do not want to see the JBOD.