Aeroflow TMD vibration

Old October 9th 03, 11:26 AM
Tony Ramsden

Default Aeroflow TMD vibration

Just installed a Vantec Aeroflow on my P4 3G system, I've managed to
bring the temps down to 36 C idle 49 C on load .. These figures I
like, but The TMD fan on the HS vibrates terribly is this normal,

When its running at a low speed all is well, but if I increase the
CPU's load and the fan ups its speed the vibration and resulting noice
came be heard all over the house. To limit its vibration I've wedged a
piece of polystyrene between the fan an the underside casing of the
PSU.

Is the vibration normal or is there a problem with the fan. As any
other Aeroflow uses had this problem.

Tony
Old October 9th 03, 03:01 PM
Skid

"Tony Ramsden" wrote in message
Just installed a Vantec Aeroflow on my P4 3G system, I've managed to
bring the temps down to 36 C idle 49 C on load .. These figures I
like, but The TMD fan on the HS vibrates terribly is this normal,

When its running at a low speed all is well, but if I increase the
CPU's load and the fan ups its speed the vibration and resulting noice
came be heard all over the house. To limit its vibration I've wedged a
piece of polystyrene between the fan an the underside casing of the
PSU.

Is the vibration normal or is there a problem with the fan. As any
other Aeroflow uses had this problem.

Not here. You sure you have it mounted properly? The spring is tough to
latch, but once it's on there it seems very secure.

The only problems I've heard with the TMD fans is that some older versions
suffered early failure because the frames were screwed on so tight they
shorted some of the coils on the perimeter of the fan. YS Tech, which makes
the TMD fans and sells them to cooler makers, including Vantec, blamed
improper installation.

Mine is less than three months old. It runs at full speed all the time, and
is no noisier than the stock Intel hsf. As you say, it does a great job of
cooling.

If the noise is bad and it is indeed the fan, you can either swap it for
another or do what I've heard a couple of others try -- use an adapter
(search www.directron.com for fan adapter) to mount an 80 mm fan.

Old October 9th 03, 03:37 PM
Tony Ramsden

If I replace the fan won't this affect the efficiency of the unit, I
thought that the TMD fans were used because if its ability to direct
the air flow down the centre of the HS.

I cannot live with this noise so any suggestions are wellcome. I have
a Vantec Stealth SF8025L spare should I use this fan as a replacement?

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:01:07 GMT, "Skid"
wrote:

.. .

Old October 9th 03, 04:25 PM
Skid

"Tony Ramsden" wrote in message
If I replace the fan won't this affect the efficiency of the unit, I
thought that the TMD fans were used because if its ability to direct
the air flow down the centre of the HS.

I cannot live with this noise so any suggestions are wellcome. I have
a Vantec Stealth SF8025L spare should I use this fan as a replacement?

I'm not familiar with that fan, though the Stealth line gets good reviews.

As far as the airflow, you're right about the TMD design. But if you look at
the adapters, they funnel the air from an 80mm (or bigger) fan into a 60 mm
opening, which should cancel out any concerns about dead spots in the
center.

I'm still happy with my TMD, but if it ever causes problems I'd go with a
bigger fan and an adapter. There are cheaper ones out there, I linked
Directron because I knew they had several choices.

Old October 9th 03, 05:30 PM
dr_hardwrae

"Tony Ramsden" wrote in message
Just installed a Vantec Aeroflow on my P4 3G system, I've managed to
bring the temps down to 36 C idle 49 C on load .. These figures I
like, but The TMD fan on the HS vibrates terribly is this normal,

When its running at a low speed all is well, but if I increase the
CPU's load and the fan ups its speed the vibration and resulting noice
came be heard all over the house. To limit its vibration I've wedged a
piece of polystyrene between the fan an the underside casing of the
PSU.

Is the vibration normal or is there a problem with the fan. As any
other Aeroflow uses had this problem.

Tony

I have the same HSF and there is a vibration with the fan, but it is not
making any noise. Perhaps that particular fan has a problem; it shouldn't
vibrate to the point of being noisy.