AMD64 2800 works with VIA chipset, not with NVIDIA(!)

Old September 6th 04, 07:22 AM
Malcolm Street

Default AMD64 2800 works with VIA chipset, not with NVIDIA(!)

Does anyone have any idea why the same cpu would work fine in a VIA chipset
socket 754 motherboard (ASUS) but not even get to POST in one using NVIDIA
250 (Gigabyte K8 Triton)?

Just wondering, because the cpu in my new home-built computer apparently
failed, took it to a local workshop who sent it back to the original
supplier. Supplier said it worked and sent it back. Stuck it back in my
PC (using the Gigabyte mb) and it didn't work. Put ASUS motherboard in for
tests and it did work.

It gets better... While my original cpu was away they stuck an AMD64 3000+
in for tests and it worked fine. So my NVIDIA-based mb won't work with the
2800 but will work with a 3000!

WTF???!!!

Has anyone come across this before and/or got any idea what's going on an
what more I can try? BTW this is getting urgent; I bought it for some cfd
(computational fluid dynamics) calculations that take 9-10 hours on my
existing 600 MHz PIII system and my project is due in a few weeks.

ta in advance!

Malcolm Street
Fraser, ACT
Old September 6th 04, 07:58 AM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:22:52 +1000, Malcolm Street wrote:

It gets better... While my original cpu was away they stuck an AMD64 3000+
in for tests and it worked fine. So my NVIDIA-based mb won't work with the
2800 but will work with a 3000!

WTF???!!!

Has anyone come across this before and/or got any idea what's going on an
what more I can try? BTW this is getting urgent; I bought it for some cfd
(computational fluid dynamics) calculations that take 9-10 hours on my
existing 600 MHz PIII system and my project is due in a few weeks.

Sounds like a bios issue, Try a different bios, or just get the 3000+. it
can't be that much more.

Don't be surprised if you don't get a lot of responses to this. Your
follow-up group (alt.comp.hardware.amd) doesn't exist.:-)