Problems installing a secondary hard drive

Old October 12th 04, 12:52 AM
bunker1275

Default Problems installing a secondary hard drive

I have been attempting to install a secondary hard drive on my
computer, but I am having major problems. I have an AMD 1.7
processor, 512mb ddr, I already have a 40gig drive now. I am
installing a 160gig hard drive. I know all the basics, but everytime
I try to boot up the computer shuts down before booting up. I
rechecked the master slave settings, cable settings nothing worked. I
even try to install the 160gig drive alone it still wont boot up. Do
I need to upgrade my BIOS. I think Im running American Megatrends
AMIBIOS now. Can someone please help me with this problem.
Old October 12th 04, 01:33 AM
Sleepy

"bunker1275" wrote in message
om...
I have been attempting to install a secondary hard drive on my
computer, but I am having major problems. I have an AMD 1.7
processor, 512mb ddr, I already have a 40gig drive now. I am
installing a 160gig hard drive. I know all the basics, but everytime
I try to boot up the computer shuts down before booting up. I
rechecked the master slave settings, cable settings nothing worked. I
even try to install the 160gig drive alone it still wont boot up. Do
I need to upgrade my BIOS. I think Im running American Megatrends
AMIBIOS now. Can someone please help me with this problem.

It could be that your board won't support a 160gb drive but to check that
you need to know the Make and Model of the board then the bios version
(press pause on boot up - when you see the screen with cpu and ram listed -
at the bottom of the screen should be the bios version). Make sure you use
the correct jumper settings - cable select will not do.

Old October 12th 04, 01:44 AM
Wheaty

bunker1275 enlightened us all with the following:

I have been attempting to install a secondary hard drive on my
computer, but I am having major problems. I have an AMD 1.7
processor, 512mb ddr, I already have a 40gig drive now. I am
installing a 160gig hard drive. I know all the basics, but everytime
I try to boot up the computer shuts down before booting up. I
rechecked the master slave settings, cable settings nothing worked. I
even try to install the 160gig drive alone it still wont boot up. Do
I need to upgrade my BIOS. I think Im running American Megatrends
AMIBIOS now. Can someone please help me with this problem.

If the computer shuts down before booting, I would check to see whether the
drive is defective. Even if the size is not supported by your BIOS, it
should still boot and show a drive physically present, just not with the
correct size or any logical information. Try the drive in another system.
If you take it to the store you bought it at, they should have no problem
testing it for you, or if you bought it online, get a buddy or someone else
to try it. If it has similar problems in other systems... you may have a
bum drive.

Wheaty
Old October 12th 04, 08:29 PM
bunker1275

Wheaty nopers wrote in message ...
[...]

I tried to install the 160gig drive alone it booted it one time and
everytime after that it wouldnt boot up. Now I have to go into the
BIOS everytime I boot up so it can read my original hard drive. I
dont understand why I have go in everytime and make it recognize my
original hard drive.
Old October 13th 04, 06:48 AM
Wheaty

bunker1275 enlightened us all with the following:

I tried to install the 160gig drive alone it booted it one time and
everytime after that it wouldnt boot up. Now I have to go into the
BIOS everytime I boot up so it can read my original hard drive. I
dont understand why I have go in everytime and make it recognize my
original hard drive.

A couple of things to try before panicking:
check to be sure you have an 80Pin cable.
Check that your jumper on your main drive is correct. Western Digitals
don't require any jumper as a single, but Maxtors do for example.
be sure that the IDE devices in your BIOS are set to Auto Detect, and not
user.
check the system time in your BIOS when you are in there. restart then
check it again. Is it losing the time? If so, you may have a bad battery.
cross your fingers

Wheaty

PS:
If this doesn't rectify the issue, get back to me with the board make and
model, BIOS revision and HD make and model, lets see what we can come up
with.