Direct CD on DVDs - it kind of sucks

Old April 15th 04, 11:05 AM

Default Direct CD on DVDs - it kind of sucks

Thats news? Sure people generally bash packet writing progs like
Direct CD ever since it was marketed as being totally unreliable but
Ive always used it for CDRs for years and generally like it. Sure its
less reliable than regular burns but still OK for me.

For dvds? Sure it works but with the greater vulnerabilty of DVDs with
all that data and having it open so much longer as you fill up the DVD
- Im getting appallingly dismal failure rates. With cheapo COMPUSa
dvds after comparing them side by - Ive burned 20 of them not using
Direct CD and zero have failed. Using Direct CD out of 30 10 of them
have crashed and burned and a few others have acted weird.

Also there have been a few negative posts piling up with the built in
graphics 400mx ASUS nforce2 board , though there are posts defending
it too. Maybe the the negative posters did finally end up getting a
bad refurb - since others say its OK. All I can say is I have a
similar spec Leadtek board and it runs great. No problems right out of
the box - except one. The one I talked about in another thread. You
start it up and it seems like its dead , no video. You fiddle with
CLEAR CMOS jumper and all was fine after that. dont know why but
almost all the system Ive seen lately seem to need CMOS clearing ,
battery cleaning or something and occaisonally go nuts.