Intel 875PBZ, anyone?

Old July 11th 03, 02:52 AM
Adrian

Default Intel 875PBZ, anyone?

Has anyone built a PC using this motherboard? I'd just like to compare
specs. and ask a few questions regarding fan selection, out of the
newsgroups if possible. Thanks.

~ Adrian ~

---
"A lie gets halfway around the world before
the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Old July 11th 03, 01:04 PM
Buck Rogers

"Guess Who" wrote in message
news
I've built my latest with the D875PBZ (BIOS P8)
P4C 3.0Ghz HT enabled
2GB (4 a x512MB) Dual DDR Kingston ValueRam
2 x 120 Seagate Barracuda V SATA (non-raid)
Sony CRX-220E1 CDRW (w/official Sony FW)
Sony DVD-+R(W) DW-U10A flashed to DR-U500
SB AUdigy 2
ATI All In Wonder 9700 Pro
Adaptec FireWire card
etc, etc...
In a udigy case w/2 front, 1 rear, 1 top exhaust fan. A bit noisy in the

hot
weather, not so bad in the Winter weather.

All works great. What questions do you have?

That is one seriously mean machine you've got there!

Old July 11th 03, 01:45 PM
ZOD

2 x 120 Seagate Barracuda V SATA (non-raid)

That is one seriously mean machine you've got there!

Except for the poor choice of hard drives....hehe

Old July 11th 03, 09:30 PM
jona

"Guess Who" wrote in message
news
I've built my latest with the D875PBZ (BIOS P8)
P4C 3.0Ghz HT enabled
2GB (4 a x512MB) Dual DDR Kingston ValueRam
2 x 120 Seagate Barracuda V SATA (non-raid)
Sony CRX-220E1 CDRW (w/official Sony FW)
Sony DVD-+R(W) DW-U10A flashed to DR-U500
SB AUdigy 2
ATI All In Wonder 9700 Pro
Adaptec FireWire card
etc, etc...
In a udigy case w/2 front, 1 rear, 1 top exhaust fan. A bit noisy in the

hot
weather, not so bad in the Winter weather.

All works great. What questions do you have?

Ja, do you supply tissues for the readers to wipe up their
drool when they read stuff like that ? My significant upgrade
from P1 to P4, 128SDRAM to 512DDR, 6Gig to 120Gig
(WD) HDD, 4Mb SiS PCI to ATi 9500pro and other stuff
seems a bit trivial now. Thanks. ;-

Old July 12th 03, 12:47 AM
Adam Steiner

I hope you at least got the WDJ 120 and not the old 2mb cache ones...I have
the WDJ and...well...wow.

Old July 12th 03, 01:57 AM
David Lewis

Guess Who wrote:
I've built my latest with the D875PBZ (BIOS P8)
P4C 3.0Ghz HT enabled
2GB (4 a x512MB) Dual DDR Kingston ValueRam
2 x 120 Seagate Barracuda V SATA (non-raid)
Sony CRX-220E1 CDRW (w/official Sony FW)
Sony DVD-+R(W) DW-U10A flashed to DR-U500
SB AUdigy 2
ATI All In Wonder 9700 Pro
Adaptec FireWire card
etc, etc...
In a udigy case w/2 front, 1 rear, 1 top exhaust fan. A bit noisy in
the hot weather, not so bad in the Winter weather.

All works great. What questions do you have?

Hi , I'm a relative Newbie so please keep it simple...why did you choose non
Raid in such a high end system (is SATA superior?) Apart from cost (?)..Why
not SCSI ? Why not dual processors (is HT just as good?)
BTW does the AWI capture video without dropping frames or freezing? If you
have DV Camcorder , does the firewire card do a good job at 'capturing' ?
Thanks.
--
Kind Regards,
David

Old July 12th 03, 03:44 AM
Guess Who

I didn't choose them for speed performance, because there is no
speed/performance benefit with SATA at the moment. I chose them for system
performance, so my Hard drives are not co-mingled with my CDRW/DVD burners.

rthlink.net...

Old July 12th 03, 03:51 AM
Guess Who

Lets, see.....

SATA is no performance boost, I chose a non-RAID setup in the interest of
piece of mind. If the RAID array is screwed, so is the rest of my data.
I've got 7 partitions, each with it's own purpose. When I want to reinstall
XP, I just wipe the C: partition and everything else is still intact. I
back up when I need to onto CD-R or DVD-R.

SCSI is more expensive for less capacity. True, it far outperforms any EIDE
disk, but I don't need that sort of performance for what the machine was
intended for, and SCSI is not easily available natively on most
motherboards. (Yes, I know the new Gigabyte board has on-board SCSI).

Again, I don't need a dual processor system, for the same reasons I don't
need SCSI.

I capture fine in DVD quality with the ATI card - no dropped frames. I do
have a DV camcorder, also no capture problems with the firewire card.

Old July 12th 03, 04:00 AM
Adrian

I know this wasn't addresses to me, but I'll answer anyway... :-)

Raid in such a high end system (is SATA superior?)

RAID and SATA aren't the same thing. Serial-ATA is an interface to a
hard-drive, just like Parallel ATA and SCSI. RAID is a mechanism to setup
multiple drives for performance and redundancy.

Apart from cost (?)..Why
not SCSI ?

SCSI is good too, in fact, it uses less CPU power than SATA or PATA.
Problem is, it's expensive.

Why not dual processors (is HT just as good?)

Dual processors, like SCSI, usually end up being expensive. Between buying
the board and then two CPUs, it can cost a fortune. HT, at least in
Windows, ends up like two CPUs. Windows sees them as a real CPU and a
virtual one.

BTW does the AWI capture video without dropping frames or freezing?

I have the same card, and I can capture from my Digital8 camcorder without
dropping frames. No freezing either.

If you
have DV Camcorder , does the firewire card do a good job at 'capturing' ?

I've captured from a DV camcorder and it works fine with the Adaptec
FireConnect 4300.

~ Adrian ~

---
"The power of accurate observation is frequently
called cynicism by those who don't have it."
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Old July 12th 03, 04:01 AM
Adrian

Except for the poor choice of hard drives....hehe

Why are they a poor choice? I'm interested to see why. Fluid bearings,
S-ATA interface, 8MB cache, 7,200RPM, 120GBs - am I missing something?

~ Adrian ~

---