System detects non-existent PCI device

Old January 1st 04, 01:49 PM
Bickle

Default System detects non-existent PCI device

I recently was to install an internal modem in a win98 system. After
plugging it in and rebooting, the system detected not one but three new PCI
devices. First two "PCI cards" and then a "PCI serial device" (not sure
about the exact phrasing there). I unplugged the modem and rebooted again
and that removed the prompt for a "PCI serial device", but the "PCI cards"
were still detected. This despite the fact that there were no PCI device
installed. In fact, I removed all cards (non-PCI ones as well) and rebooted
several times, but the prompt for new PCI cards remain. The system was
recently formated and there were never any problem with PCI devices during
the process. It just occured now, with the modem.

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong and how it can be solved? I'm a
newbie when it comes to hardware and I've never run into this problem
before.

Old January 1st 04, 02:07 PM
philo

"Bickle" wrote in message
[...]

Just put the modem back in and install the drivers for it and you should be
OK...
once in a while, after installing a modem...you may end up with some

"unknown wave device" but if your modem is working...don't worry about it.

Old January 1st 04, 09:06 PM
kony

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 13:49:12 GMT, "Bickle" wrote:

[...]

You really ought to mention that "system"... we dont' know what it is.

What chipset? What motherboard?

Disable the integrated modem in the bios.
If it still doesn't work, still shows the entries in Device Manager,
and you have a particular chipset, I "might" be able to find a utility
to disable it... I dont' recall the details but if it's applicable to
your chipset I may be able to find it.

On the other hand, the quick/easy way is to just disable it in Device
Manager... that won't cause problems so long as you really don't
need/use the device.

Dave

Old January 2nd 04, 05:15 PM
Bickle

"kony" skrev i meddelandet

You really ought to mention that "system"... we dont' know what it is.

What chipset? What motherboard?

Didn't think of checking that.

Disable the integrated modem in the bios.
If it still doesn't work, still shows the entries in Device Manager,
and you have a particular chipset, I "might" be able to find a utility
to disable it... I dont' recall the details but if it's applicable to
your chipset I may be able to find it.

Thanks, but that's not necessary. I was mostly curious if anyone else had
encountered this problem with "ghost devices". I could understand if extra
devices were reported when the modem was plugged in, like Philo mentioned,
but when -no- devices are plugged in and still...

Seems like something happened with the motherboard the first time i plugged
in the modem.

On the other hand, the quick/easy way is to just disable it in Device
Manager... that won't cause problems so long as you really don't
need/use the device.

I'll do that.

Old January 2nd 04, 05:23 PM
Bickle

"philo" skrev i meddelandet

Just put the modem back in and install the drivers for it and you should

be
OK...
once in a while, after installing a modem...you may end up with some

"unknown wave device" but if your modem is working...don't worry about

it.

Yes, I've had that happen to me as well, but never before have I seen a
computer that reports new PCI devices when no devices whatsoever are plugged
in. It's a strange problem and not an easy one to google after. Well, I'll
try to install the modem and hopefully it'll work anyway.

Old January 2nd 04, 05:51 PM
kony

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:15:39 GMT, "Bickle" wrote:

snip

Thanks, but that's not necessary. I was mostly curious if anyone else had
encountered this problem with "ghost devices".

Sure, it's common. They're not really "ghost devices" though, they
are real physical and logical devices just like any PCI card you could
plug in. There may not be a physical port or part of support
componentry present though, or sometimes the manufacturer didn't even
include the pin-headers or slots and should've disabled that in the
bios, but didn't.

Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
PII vs PIII Gregory L. Hansen General 114 October 15th 03 05:56 PM
how to give energy to USB devices? with notebook off!!! andrea rossi General 10 September 12th 03 08:54 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
non plug and play device on com port? David K General 1 July 19th 03 08:19 PM