Power Calibration error - need new power supply

Old May 7th 04, 04:09 PM
Anonymous

Default Power Calibration error - need new power supply

I have a 300w power supply and I have 2 hard drives running 120G and 60G =
plus a hard drive cooler, a couple of case fans. and a CDR burner. My =
monitor flickers every once in a while. I have a decent power surge =
bar. =20

My 120G drive is about 6 months old. I recently decided to burn a few =
CDRWs after a long absence. My Plextor 8432T would not burn reformatted =
CDRW. I tried different CDRW's. They no longer work on my PC. I =
either get a power calibration error or the burner thinks the CDRW is a =
CDR and it won't write or quick format the PC.

I decided to buy another CDR burner. I was able to read and write a few =
CDRW's no problem. But, suddenly, I developed power calibration errors =
again. I took the same CDRW to a friend's place who has the same burner =
and s/w and attempted to quickformat the CDRW. No problem at all on my =
friends system.

Clearly, it's something in my system. I was wondering if I should get a =
new power supply??

Thanks
Old May 7th 04, 04:28 PM
JAD

what ASPI layer are you using? I found that this new version that is
being installed with some burnware (ver 4.71) is junk. goto the
Adaptec site and get ASPI checker...or maybe nero has one..
forceaspi17.exe on google and try the 4.60 ver

HTH

Old May 7th 04, 06:57 PM
Mike Richter

Anonymous wrote:
[...]

Nothing that you describe suggests either power supply problems or a
load approaching 300 watts. On the other hand, the power supply is
inexpensive components and easy to replace, so if you're inspired to
try, why not?

Power calibration has little to do with the computer supply and
everything to do with the write laster. The most common reason for
problems there is media mismatch with your drive - typically, the wrong
rating. Make sure that if the drive logo has no speed designation or is
marked High Speed or Ultra Speed that you use similarly marked erasables.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old May 7th 04, 09:33 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes !!! )

Anonymous wrote:

[...]

What software and its version number are you using?

Does the cd-rw have any speed marking like MultiSpeed, HighSpeed,
UltraSpeed or no marking?

What's the brand and model number of your new burner?
Old May 7th 04, 09:35 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes !!! )

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) spewed:

The most common reason for
problems there is media mismatch with your drive - typically, the wrong
rating. Make sure that if the drive logo has no speed designation or is
marked High Speed or Ultra Speed that you use similarly marked erasables.

--------------------------
Is the sky falling, Mikey?
--------------------------

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) wrote (12/24/03):

Most likely, you are using the wrong media.

If it's UltraSpeed, it wants discs in similarly marked
packages - rated 16x and above. If it's High Speed, it wants discs in
similarly marked packages, rated 4x and above. If it has neither
marking, it needs discs without such marking on their packaging and
rated no higher than 4x.

And the sky is falling Chicken Little, go tell the king

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) wrote (12/16/03):

Erasable media have proved unreliable. In addition if you have a
HighSpeed drive (rated above 4x), you should not use media rated
for a maximum of 4x of less; they are not HighSpeed. You may get
apparently good results, but the error rate is likely to be high
and reliability will be low.

And the sky is falling Chicken Little, go tell the king

From: Mitch
Subject: CD RW problem
Date: 11/30/03

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) wrote (11/26/03):

Mitch wrote:

If you have a Rewritable Drive
you can use 1x-4x CD-RW Media

If you have a High Speed Rewritable Drive
you can use 4x-12x CD-RW Media & 1x-4x CD-RW Media

If you have a Ultra Speed Rewritable Drive
you can use 8x-24x CD-RW Media, 4x-12x CD-RW Media & 1x-4x
CD-RW Media

Yes and no. Your drive may or may not write to media of a lesser
type than specified, but the quality of the write is generally
much less than that for the specified type, which is often less
than you'd want to begin with. I did not say that it would not
work, only that "you're asking for trouble".

Double-check your data, though. There may be an UltraSpeed drive
which will write as slowly as 4x, but I don't know of it.

And the sky is falling Chicken Little, go tell the king.

-------------------------------
Mikey, you are a Friggin' ****!
-------------------------------
Old May 7th 04, 11:00 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes !!! )

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) spewed:

The most common reason for
problems there is media mismatch with your drive - typically, the wrong
rating. Make sure that if the drive logo has no speed designation or is
marked High Speed or Ultra Speed that you use similarly marked erasables.

--------------------------
Is the sky falling, Mikey?
--------------------------

BTW, did you coin the term "erasable", Mikey?

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Slimeball)
Date: 5/17/02

I refer to "erasable"
=====================

-----------------------------
(From old cdrfaq)
Subject: [1-1] What's CD-R?

A related technology called CD-E (CD Erasable) is expected to be
available in late 1996.

[Note: It was recently decided to call this technology "CD-Rewritable"
instead of CD-Erasable" -- kwc]

-----------------------------
Subject: [2-12] How does CD-RW compare to CD-R?

CD-RW is short for CD-Rewritable. It used to be called CD-Erasable
(CD-E), but some marketing folks changed it so it wouldn't sound like
your important data gets erased on a whim.

-----------------------------
Erasable CDs are a go, compatibility to come later
October 23, 1996
By John Poultney

The newly standardized CD-Rewritable format, known until a month ago as
CD-Erasable
-----------------------------
Old May 8th 04, 02:21 AM
Anonymous

4.60 version.

"JAD" wrote in message =
ink.net...
: what ASPI layer are you using? I found that this new version that is
: being installed with some burnware (ver 4.71) is junk. goto the
: Adaptec site and get ASPI checker...or maybe nero has one..
: forceaspi17.exe on google and try the 4.60 ver
:=20
: HTH
:=20
:=20
: "Anonymous" wrote in message
[...]
: Thanks
:=20
:
Old May 8th 04, 02:26 AM
Anonymous

"Mike Richter" wrote in message =
: =20
: : Power calibration has little to do with the computer supply and=20
: everything to do with the write laster. The most common reason for=20
: problems there is media mismatch with your drive - typically, the =
wrong=20
: rating. Make sure that if the drive logo has no speed designation or =
is=20
: marked High Speed or Ultra Speed that you use similarly marked =
erasables.

The settings on both CDR's (exact same model and s/w) are the same. =
While my old Plextor and the new LG both have the same power calibration =
error using the exact same media. So, this is why the power supply is =
suspect. =20

I don't really want to spend the money right now on a new p/s unit =
unless I have to since late next year I'll get a better system of my =
own. And like all computer equipment, the longer one waits, the =
cheaper things become.
Old May 8th 04, 11:53 PM
Anonymous

I am finally back at my own PC.

: What software and its version number are you using?

The S/W I am using is Nero Express 5.5.9.9 Bundled.
:
: Does the cd-rw have any speed marking like MultiSpeed, HighSpeed,
: UltraSpeed or no marking?

No, there is no speed marking
:
: What's the brand and model number of your new burner?

The Burner is an LG GCE 8525B CDRW, Win XP sees it in device manager: HL DT
ST CD-RW GCE 852B

Old May 9th 04, 02:01 AM
smh

Anonymous wrote:

: What software and its version number are you using?

The S/W I am using is Nero Express 5.5.9.9 Bundled.

What drive was it bundled with? Usually bundled Nero works only with
the drive that came with it. Anyhow you should upgrade to 5.5.10.56.

(What software was used to format the cd-rw's originally?)
(What software are you using to reformat the cd-w's now?)

: Does the cd-rw have any speed marking like MultiSpeed, HighSpeed,
: UltraSpeed or no marking?

No, there is no speed marking

If no markings, it's rated at 2x only. Only low speed burners will
write to it, like Plextor 8432T, but LG 8525B UltraSpeed+ won't.

: What's the brand and model number of your new burner?

The Burner is an LG GCE 8525B CDRW, Win XP sees it in device manager: HL DT
ST CD-RW GCE 852B

LG 8525B 52X32X52X is UltraSpeed+ drive. This drive won't write to 2x
only cd-rw.

Get Verbatim DataLifePlus Ultra Speed (16-24x) cd-rw, and if LG 8525B
still have problems writing to it -- make sure the burn speed is 24x or
less -- then your problem lies most likely with hardware other than the
burner.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10332676