CPU upgrade help?

Old October 23rd 03, 03:06 PM
Mr.Vampy

Default CPU upgrade help?

Hi,

I'm hoping someone on this group can help me out. The PC that I have now is
using a QDI advance 6 VT8601 motherboard. It uses the Apollo PLE 133T
Chipset. (does that make sense?) It has an Intel Celeron 700MHz cpu and
384MB SDRam. I would like to know what is the fastest cpu this board will
take. As a complete novice, it is just a case of taking the old cpu out and
putting the new one in? Would I need to flash the bios, as this would be
entering an unknown territory for me?
I am in the UK, so can you recommend a reputable dealer who may stock the
cpu required.
Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

mr-vampy

Old October 23rd 03, 05:39 PM
kony

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:06:35 +0100, "Mr.Vampy"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm hoping someone on this group can help me out. The PC that I have now is
using a QDI advance 6 VT8601 motherboard. It uses the Apollo PLE 133T
Chipset. (does that make sense?) It has an Intel Celeron 700MHz cpu and
384MB SDRam. I would like to know what is the fastest cpu this board will
take. As a complete novice, it is just a case of taking the old cpu out and
putting the new one in? Would I need to flash the bios, as this would be
entering an unknown territory for me?
I am in the UK, so can you recommend a reputable dealer who may stock the
cpu required.
Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

mr-vampy

Fastest is a P3 or Celeron, 1.4GHz. The P3 is a bit overpriced for
it's relative performance, I'd go with the Celeron. Your board most
likely has a setting in the BIOS for "+33" memory bus, which should be
used to maximize the onboard video performnance IF your memory is
PC133, not PC100.

It is just a case of swapping the CPUs, but every now and then there
are boards which require the CMOS to be cleared (see manual for the
jumper location). Flashing the BIOS shouldn't be necessary in a
perfect world, since that's already a chipset with native Tualatin
support, but I'd go ahead and flash the BIOS anyway, while the old CPU
is still installed. That may even provide other benefits, bug fixes
or support for larger HDDs.

Sorry no idea about best UK vendors.

Dave
Old October 23rd 03, 10:14 PM
Shep©

wrote:

[...]

I've had no bad gear off this supplier with decent prices,
http://www.cclcomputers.biz/jscript_...tail_frame.htm
for OP :O)

--
Free Windows/PC help,