Questions from one who has never built a computer before

Old October 20th 03, 03:53 PM
Phil Pease

Default Questions from one who has never built a computer before

Does a heatsink, cpu fan, thermal paste come with a retail cpu (AMD 2500+)
or do I need to buy these items?

Do cables to connect a retail motherboard (Aopen AK79D) to various
connectors come with the motherboard or do I need to buy these items?

Is a floppy drive necessary?
--
Phil

Old October 20th 03, 04:02 PM
MCR

Phil Pease wrote:

Does a heatsink, cpu fan, thermal paste come with a retail cpu (AMD 2500+)
or do I need to buy these items?

Dont know about retail, but OEM doesnt.

Do cables to connect a retail motherboard (Aopen AK79D) to various
connectors come with the motherboard or do I need to buy these items?

Usually the connectors to the case come with the case and the IDE /
floppy cables come with the MOBO.

Is a floppy drive necessary?

No. Not with a self booting CD ROM.

--
MCR
MAME - History In The Making

Old October 20th 03, 04:04 PM
JAD

retail boxed CPU's Intel, AMD, Cyrix, all come with HSF's

cables to hook up the drives and CD-ROM come with the MB

floppies are a necessity but not as much as prior years....with the
introduction of the bootable CD-ROM and that option in the bios, its getting
less and less a necessity...but is needed for driver installs that only come
on floppies.

Old October 20th 03, 04:42 PM
Joseph

"Phil Pease" wrote in message
Does a heatsink, cpu fan, thermal paste come with a retail cpu (AMD 2500+)
or do I need to buy these items?

retail cpu does come with cpu fan heatsink. As thermal paste it does comes
with some paste pre applied. I do recommend removing this (with rubbing
alcohol) and apply acrtic silver 3.

Do cables to connect a retail motherboard (Aopen AK79D) to various
connectors come with the motherboard or do I need to buy these items?

motherboard does come with various connectors IF it is retail

Is a floppy drive necessary?

no a necessity but good to have.

--
Phil

Old October 20th 03, 05:41 PM
\(\) |V| 3 G A

you NEED a floppy if your installing SATA drivers/similar

i encountered this problem on my a7n8x dlx rev2.0 board when installing
winXP home on my 2 new western digital SATA raptor drives.

there were drivers on the asus supplied driver cd, but winXP install will
not search the CD drive for HDD controllers.

tim

Old October 20th 03, 07:29 PM
Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Phil Pease" wrote in message
Does a heatsink, cpu fan, thermal paste come with a retail cpu (AMD 2500+)
or do I need to buy these items?

Yes, with the retail "Processor in a Box" package.

And if it's not in the package, then it's not a retail CPU.

Do cables to connect a retail motherboard (Aopen AK79D) to various
connectors come with the motherboard or do I need to buy these items?

If purchased as new, boxed, yes. If used or bulk, ask who you're
buying this from.

Is a floppy drive necessary?

I'd say so for maintenance. But, really, it's not necessary for
EVERYONE.

RwP

Old October 21st 03, 12:40 AM

Phil Pease wrote:

Does a heatsink, cpu fan, thermal paste come with a retail cpu (AMD 2500+)
or do I need to buy these items?

Do cables to connect a retail motherboard (Aopen AK79D) to various
connectors come with the motherboard or do I need to buy these items?

Is a floppy drive necessary?
--
Phil

Because I was a first time builder at this time last year, I chose the
following option from
mwave.com:
For $9, they
"Assembly and testing option includes installation of memory, processor,
and cooling fan. CPU settings will be set,
and inital boot will be performed.
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/DEPTBUNCP...EPTBUNCPU.HMX?

This was my biggest concern as a first time builder, and as far as I'm
concerned, $9 well spent.

As for the floppy:
They are not absolutely needed, but less than $20...why not???
Old October 21st 03, 02:03 AM

You can always get a USB floppy.

Old October 25th 03, 09:27 PM
Matt

Phil Pease wrote:
Does a heatsink, cpu fan, thermal paste come with a retail cpu (AMD 2500+)
or do I need to buy these items?

They come with it. I bought a 2500+ a couple months ago. The stock
setup is adequate for minor overclocking. It came with a wax-like layer
of thermal interface material (TIM) on the HS. Install the HSF BEFORE
installing the mobo. The TIM is easily and harmlessly removed with
coffee filters and 91% isopropyl alcohol if you have to. Then you can
use some aftermarket thermal compound. But don't: just get it right the
first time.

That's a great processor BTW---great choice.

Old October 27th 03, 08:58 PM
`Elf

check out amd's web site.

they recommend AGAINST using paste

They want you to use the pad that comes with the cpu/fan