Intel 2.4 800fsb + stock fans ok for games ?

Old October 4th 03, 11:28 AM

Default Intel 2.4 800fsb + stock fans ok for games ?

I look at my cpu temperates as I browse the internet and see that the cpu is
a nice 27 degrees celcius (80 F)... but when I play games the cpu
temperature shoots all the way up too 63 C (145 F) !!! Sometimes if i
play a certain game (simcity 4) then it will only take 5 minutes till the
CPU will shutdown the computer at 72 C (161F)... My cpu fan is running at
2311 rpm.

Do you think maybe I should try get a better fan that can handle games
better ? Any good suggestions for brands ?

Old October 4th 03, 12:10 PM
Cuzman

wrote in message
.. .

" Do you think maybe I should try get a better fan that can handle games
better ? Any good suggestions for brands ? "

I think you need to address several potential factors, as changing the fan
alone may not bring down the temperature to an acceptable level.

1) The connection between the heatsink and the CPU may be suspect. Too
much or too little thermal compound is a major cause of over-heating.
2) Front-mounted case fans help massively.
3) Un-obstructed air intakes bringing cool air in.
4) Un-obstructed air exhausts, including a system for taking hot air out of
the corner where the CPU is located.
5) Cables tied up to increase air-flow, with round IDE cables.
6) PCI cards stacked in a way to increase air-flow. Having any larger
cards at the bottom often helps.
7) 5 1/4 inch drives stacked in a way to increase air-flow. Having any
longer items at the top often helps.

Your choice of fan needs to be a compromise between power and noise. It all
depends on individual preference, but the best products are always listed in
the *CPU Cooling* section at http://www.hardcorecooling.us . You may wish
to search for reviews and sales elsewhere, but it's a good place to start.

Old October 4th 03, 10:36 PM
kony

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 20:28:24 +1000, wrote:

I look at my cpu temperates as I browse the internet and see that the cpu is
a nice 27 degrees celcius (80 F)... but when I play games the cpu
temperature shoots all the way up too 63 C (145 F) !!! Sometimes if i
play a certain game (simcity 4) then it will only take 5 minutes till the
CPU will shutdown the computer at 72 C (161F)... My cpu fan is running at
2311 rpm.

Do you think maybe I should try get a better fan that can handle games
better ? Any good suggestions for brands ?

The stock heatsink/fan isn't the best, but should be able to keep the
magins between idle and load, lower than a 45C diference. I would
suspect that the heatsink is mounted fine since your idle temps are so
low, but that you need more chassis air intake (via fan) or exhaust
PLUS air intake holes/vents/etc.

For an already-assembled system, the easiest solution can be to cut
out a fan hole on the left side panel, since the panel is removable
and no further disassembly of the system would be needed, but of
course you need power tools to do that. A 92mm 2500RPM should be a
good low-noise compromise, providing your rear case fan and/or power
supply fans aren't inefficient due to overly restrictive stamped-in
grills, which ideally would also need cut out.

Dave

Dave