Media Direct DD partition?

Old August 9th 07, 09:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Default Media Direct DD partition?

I uninstall Media Direct along with all the junkware, but I notice I lose
about 2GB of HD to what I gather is a partition for it. I gather it's
the ``Type DD'' partition in the sequence

FAT
NTFS
DD
CP/M

Can I just delete that partition? What does it stand for? I use
Partition Magic, normally to add Ubuntu dual boot, but I could delete the
DD first and reclaim the space, if it's not harmful.

Old August 10th 07, 05:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
I uninstall Media Direct along with all the junkware, but I notice I lose
about 2GB of HD to what I gather is a partition for it. I gather it's
the ``Type DD'' partition in the sequence

FAT
NTFS
DD
CP/M

Can I just delete that partition? What does it stand for? I use
Partition Magic, normally to add Ubuntu dual boot, but I could delete the
DD first and reclaim the space, if it's not harmful.

Ron -

Wish I had a definitive answer. The DD is indeed the MediaDirect partition,
which starts out as some sort of HPA partition (yes, I had to look it up
once) with it's own entry into the MBR - hence the one-touch media direct
button which boots the system to that partition "without booting Windows".

My only concern about nuking the DD partition is the potential effect(s)
this may have on the boot partition and/or the CP/M (Dell hidden image)
partition.

One part of me thinks that re-allocating the DD partition (using PM) to the
NTFS/boot partition might work just fine w/o harming either the OS or
restore image partition. Another part of me wonders if it might not destroy
both.

Have you tried using the CTL+F11 option to see if there is an existing
option in that menu to re-allocate the DD partition space into the NTFS/boot
partition? I know that option exists on Dell Data-Safe systems, so it may be
there for MediaDirect.

?

Stew