5x86 133 overclock!

Old April 17th 04, 11:12 AM
socket7!

Default 5x86 133 overclock!

I'm about to upgrade my friend's 486sx 25 computer with the very modern 5x86
133 CPU. Since I've heard about good overclockability of 5x86s , I was
wondering if anyone here had any experience in that matter.
Don't laugh - CAN you double the speed of YOUR system for 3 USD? ;-)

Old April 17th 04, 08:41 PM
Mushtafa

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:12:31 +0200, "socket7!" wrote:

I'm about to upgrade my friend's 486sx 25 computer with the very modern 5x86
133 CPU. Since I've heard about good overclockability of 5x86s , I was
wondering if anyone here had any experience in that matter.
Don't laugh - CAN you double the speed of YOUR system for 3 USD? ;-)

Yeah, I did that during the last century... very easy, it's just a multiplier
thing if the moboard can handle it or a socket adapter with jumpers if not. If
I remember right, some SX boards weren't fully DX socket compatible, but I might
be wrong.
No wait - I can't remember the last decade let alone the last millenium!
Old April 18th 04, 03:13 AM
Augustus

"socket7!" wrote in message
I'm about to upgrade my friend's 486sx 25 computer with the very modern

5x86
133 CPU. Since I've heard about good overclockability of 5x86s , I was
wondering if anyone here had any experience in that matter.
Don't laugh - CAN you double the speed of YOUR system for 3 USD? ;-)

The 133 5x86 is fairly rare....basically just sold as upgrade kits for 486
systems. Don't think these things have much overhead on them. If you set the
FSB at 40Mhz, you might get 160Mhz out of it. Stock is 33 x 4.0 multiplier.

Old April 20th 04, 03:37 AM
Minotaur

socket7! wrote:

I'm about to upgrade my friend's 486sx 25 computer with the very modern 5x86
133 CPU. Since I've heard about good overclockability of 5x86s , I was
wondering if anyone here had any experience in that matter.
Don't laugh - CAN you double the speed of YOUR system for 3 USD? ;-)

I could for 50c US, buy a note pad and a pencil it'l be faster than
Could try loading Unix/X Window and Netscape for a JOKE I suppose *8)
The PC might be good as a timer for those times when your baking a roast!
Old April 23rd 04, 02:18 AM
Yellowbeard

I still have a 596 133 that is in my daughters room. She uses it for word
and "old" games.
It is running win98.
If memory serves me the 586 at 133 is already OC to its extent.
YB

"Minotaur" wrote in message
. ..

Old April 29th 04, 08:05 AM
R. Asby Dragon

"socket7!" wrote in message
I'm about to upgrade my friend's 486sx 25 computer with the very

modern 5x86
133 CPU. Since I've heard about good overclockability of 5x86s , I

was
wondering if anyone here had any experience in that matter.
Don't laugh - CAN you double the speed of YOUR system for 3 USD?

;-)

"very modern" ???? my ass !!

You are dealing with the "worst era" of chipsets for mobos; 486
"time" had some of the biggest abortions known to man .

But-- if you had luck :
good memory
right mobo
etc...

I did build a 586X133 setup that would run at 4x50 or 200 mhz; rock
solid.