Newly Built Computer Won't Stay On

Old December 15th 06, 07:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RussellS

Default Newly Built Computer Won't Stay On

"OSbandito" wrote in message
*snip*
"My opinion, which is affected by low intellect and bad upbringing"

-------------------------------
That's hysterical...I love your sense of humor!

Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

Old December 15th 06, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jan Alter

wrote in message
ups.com...

Robert Heiling wrote:
Jack Bruss wrote:

I just built a new computer, and when I turn it on, it turns off in
about 4
seconds. I hear a longish beep, and all 4 fans in the system are
turning
before the whole thing shuts down. There is no time for anything to
show up
on the monitor. The system is as follows:

CASE - COOMAS|CAC-T05-UB BLK/BL RT
PSU - SUNBEAM|SUNNU450-US-BK 450W RT
MB - ASUS M2N-MX GF6100 AM2
CPU - AMD|A64 X2 3800+ AM2 2x512K R
MEM - 1G|OCZ DII800 OCZ2P800LP1G R
HD - 120G|WD 7K 8M SATA2 WD1200JS

The Power supply has this temp monitor fan controller thing, and it
shows a
temp of about 25 C, before the computer shuts down. I've tried
starting
with the knob at high, low, and auto, with the same results, that is
shut
down in about 4 seconds.

I tried to boot before I installed the drives, and got the same
results.

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I'll toss this out. Double-check your
wiring
job in regard to the power-on and reset buttons and motherboard pins.
Your magic
4 second delay is exactly the effect you would get if power-off were
being held
down.

Bob

I can't check this until tonight, but do you mean the LED connections?
I know on some of them, it was not clear which way they should go on.

Jack

The LED connections wouldn't have any affect on whether the comp stayed on
or not. If the connectors were placed backword the LEDs simply would not
light. But if you are skeptical if you've got them right then it certainly
would be a good thing to recheck the manual.. I lean towards PS problems
myself..

--
Jan Alter

or

Old December 15th 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
OSbandito

Robert Heiling wrote:

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I'll toss this out. Double-check your wiring job in regard to the power-on and reset buttons and motherboard pins. Your magic 4 second delay is exactly the effect you would get if power-off were being held down.

Bob Good answer--hitting the basics first. But you should warn him:
if he got his wires crossed, he will have to remove his shorts.
Old December 15th 06, 11:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Robert Heiling

OSbandito wrote:

Robert Heiling wrote:

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I'll toss this out. Double-check your wiring job in regard to the power-on and reset buttons and motherboard pins. Your magic 4 second delay is exactly the effect you would get if power-off were being held down.

Bob Good answer--hitting the basics first. But you should warn him:
if he got his wires crossed, he will have to remove his shorts.

In pubic?
Old December 15th 06, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

OSbandito wrote:
Robert Heiling wrote:

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I'll toss this out. Double-check your wiring job in regard to the power-on and reset buttons and motherboard pins. Your magic 4 second delay is exactly the effect you would get if power-off were being held down.

Bob Good answer--hitting the basics first. But you should warn him:
if he got his wires crossed, he will have to remove his shorts.

Well, I've tried reversing the power on wires, removing the reset
wires, removing and replacing the heat sink/fan, and moving the memory
to a different slot, and there has been no change. I don't have spare
mbs, memory, or PSUs lying around, so I guess I'll go buy a power
supply first, and try that.

Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming.

Jack

Old December 16th 06, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

you covered the gambit of 'free' things to do...
PSUs are the most important hardware in the rig, only recently(18 months or
so) this has been so much more a truism.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old December 16th 06, 11:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
kony

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 21:44:45 GMT, "Jan Alter"
wrote:

The LED connections wouldn't have any affect on whether the comp stayed on
or not. If the connectors were placed backword the LEDs simply would not
light. But if you are skeptical if you've got them right then it certainly
would be a good thing to recheck the manual.. I lean towards PS problems
myself..

It is true, LED connectors being reversed polarity wouldn't
in itself cause this, but wrong connector block wiring,
particularly to one of the OEM or (more elaborate new cases
with several function circuit boards in front) other cases
could conceivably route LED or other logical connections
where they shouldn't be. Thus, the safest bet is to unplug
all such wiring and turn system on by momentarily shorting
the two power-on pins together with a metallic object.
Old December 16th 06, 12:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Robert Heiling wrote:
wrote:

OSbandito wrote:
Robert Heiling wrote:

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I'll toss this out. Double-check your wiring job in regard to the power-on and reset buttons and motherboard pins. Your magic 4 second delay is exactly the effect you would get if power-off were being held down.

Bob Good answer--hitting the basics first. But you should warn him:
if he got his wires crossed, he will have to remove his shorts.

Well, I've tried reversing the power on wires, removing the reset
wires,

I wouldn't be comfortable with what you describe. Why don't you simply remove
all connections to those 10 sets of pins -LED, Reset, Speaker, Power - All of
them! Then briefly short the Power pins. If the behavior is still the same, then
you've ruled those out.

removing and replacing the heat sink/fan, and moving the memory
to a different slot, and there has been no change. I don't have spare
mbs, memory, or PSUs lying around, so I guess I'll go buy a power
supply first, and try that.

Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming.

But if it comes on and stays on, you'll know where to look for one problem.

Bob

I just located an older 20 pin PSU in my basement, but my mb needs a 24
pin. Is there any way to use this old PSU, just to see if it fixes the
problem before I buy a new one?

1st home built computer [email protected] Overclocking AMD Processors 1 September 6th 06 12:10 AM
Fan speeds Texas Yankee Overclocking 6 March 8th 06 04:09 PM
If you have recently purchased a custom built computer from............. trifecta General 2 January 26th 06 02:47 AM
How to Fix Your Computer Ben Dellar Overclocking AMD Processors 0 November 11th 03 09:39 AM
Questions from one who has never built a computer before Phil Pease Homebuilt PC's 13 October 28th 03 02:45 PM