Which Core 2 Duo?

Old September 11th 06, 04:54 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
skyf

Default Which Core 2 Duo?

I'm looking at buying a Dell Dimension 9200. The big question is which
processor to get. I basically use my PC for word processing, strategy
games and sometimes a first-person-shooter (nothing much heavier than
America's Army or Battlefield 2). Will the 1.86Ghz E6300 with 2MB be
sufficient, or would I get noticeably better performance from the 4MB
E6600?

Also, is 1GB of RAM sufficient for this type of system?

Sky

Old September 11th 06, 06:00 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Gojira

"skyf" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking at buying a Dell Dimension 9200. The big question is which
processor to get. I basically use my PC for word processing, strategy
games and sometimes a first-person-shooter (nothing much heavier than
America's Army or Battlefield 2). Will the 1.86Ghz E6300 with 2MB be
sufficient, or would I get noticeably better performance from the 4MB
E6600?

Also, is 1GB of RAM sufficient for this type of system?

Sky

Personally,I think the E6600 is the best buy,it will last longer before
upgrading is necessary and gives great performance.
Although 1GB will be sufficient,games like Battlefield 2 perform better with
2 GB.

Old September 11th 06, 07:12 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
skyf

The GeForce 7900 GS, which is the best that Dell offers for the
Dimension 9200. I've read that it's a decent mid-range card.

From what you're saying, instead of spending $150 to upgrade the E6300

to an E6600, I'm better off spending $190 to upgrade from 1GB of RAM to
2GB.

Sky

Zadok wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:00:54 GMT, "Gojira" wrote:

"skyf" wrote in message
roups.com...
I'm looking at buying a Dell Dimension 9200. The big question is which
processor to get. I basically use my PC for word processing, strategy
games and sometimes a first-person-shooter (nothing much heavier than
America's Army or Battlefield 2). Will the 1.86Ghz E6300 with 2MB be
sufficient, or would I get noticeably better performance from the 4MB
E6600?

Also, is 1GB of RAM sufficient for this type of system?

Sky

Personally,I think the E6600 is the best buy,it will last longer before
upgrading is necessary and gives great performance.
Although 1GB will be sufficient,games like Battlefield 2 perform better with
2 GB.

I agree. Additionally: If you decide to wipe your machine next year
and load Vista then you will need the 2gb. I suspect that you don't
play anything heavier is because your current machine chokes. Games
will continue to require greater hardware resources so if you have the
money go for it. Which video card are you considering?

-- Zadok

Old September 12th 06, 12:14 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
DaveW

The E6600 with the double sized core memory (4 MB) would be noticeably
faster.

--
DaveW

----------------
oups.com...

Old September 12th 06, 07:07 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Gojira

Actually,you'd be better off finding a good custom system builder to put
together a system for you,better support and quality and you could probably
get both the 6660 and 2GB RAM for what Dell would charge you for the lower
end components.
"skyf" wrote in message
oups.com...
The GeForce 7900 GS, which is the best that Dell offers for the
Dimension 9200. I've read that it's a decent mid-range card.

From what you're saying, instead of spending $150 to upgrade the E6300

Zadok wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:00:54 GMT, "Gojira" wrote:

"skyf" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Help! Conroe or Kentsfield? Chalky Overclocking 3 June 16th 06 01:35 AM
Laptops, wait for Intel Centrino Core Duo? Kevin K. Fosler Dell Computers 35 February 15th 06 01:48 AM
Centrino Vs P4 toby Intel 22 February 2nd 06 10:28 PM
"Pentium 4" brandname ready to be dropped Yousuf Khan General 69 November 5th 04 12:51 AM
CPU Core Voltage Too Low -> Crash? Edward J. Neth Gateway Computers 27 February 22nd 04 04:38 AM