Which one?

Old September 1st 06, 10:52 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Neil Barras

Default Which one?

Celeron 1.7GHz (128K L2) or P4 1.5GHz (256k L2)? The choice will go in a
server for serving websites and use as a LAN fileserver. I'm guessing the
P4? I just wondered if the 200MHz difference would make up for the 128k
cache?

Thanks

Old September 1st 06, 08:17 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Puddin' Man

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 09:52:00 GMT, "Neil Barras"
wrote:

Celeron 1.7GHz (128K L2) or P4 1.5GHz (256k L2)? The choice will go in a
server for serving websites and use as a LAN fileserver. I'm guessing the
P4? I just wondered if the 200MHz difference would make up for the 128k
cache?

Just on the basis of cache size, I'd spring for the P4. There may
be other reasons (differential fsb speed?).

Cellys just werent designed for servers.

Cheers,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.
Old September 1st 06, 10:35 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Neil Barras

Thanks, I probably will go with the P4. Another question has popped up now:
Can I run this CPU without a fan using a standard 478 HeatSink?

Old September 2nd 06, 12:24 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
DaveW

The cache is NOT the only difference. Definitely choose the P4!

--
DaveW

----------------

Old September 2nd 06, 12:37 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Puddin' Man

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 21:35:56 GMT, "Neil Barras"
wrote:

Thanks, I probably will go with the P4. Another question has popped up now:
Can I run this CPU without a fan using a standard 478 HeatSink?

When your say "standard 478 HeatSink", you likely mean a
standard S478 HeatSink/Fan combo. Eh? I've not heard
of anyone running -only- a cpu heatsink.

So the Q becomes something like "Do I need a second fan
for the cpu/socket area?.

Dunno re last Q. If the P4 is pre-Prescott it may run
cooler than more current S478 cpu's. Maybe someone
else has better info.

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.
Old September 5th 06, 02:28 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Alex Johnson

Neil Barras wrote:
Thanks, I probably will go with the P4. Another question has popped up now:
Can I run this CPU without a fan using a standard 478 HeatSink?

No pentium 4 family CPU can be run effectively without a fan. I believe
this is also true of Pentium III, Athlon, and descendants. Basically
every chip since the original Pentium. The chip _may_ actually run, but
it will be in perpetual thermal throttling and may shut down randomly to
avoid burning up.

Alex
Old September 7th 06, 07:41 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Mike Smith

Alex Johnson wrote:
Neil Barras wrote:
Thanks, I probably will go with the P4. Another question has popped
up now: Can I run this CPU without a fan using a standard 478 HeatSink?

No pentium 4 family CPU can be run effectively without a fan. I believe
this is also true of Pentium III, Athlon, and descendants. Basically
every chip since the original Pentium. The chip _may_ actually run, but
it will be in perpetual thermal throttling and may shut down randomly to
avoid burning up.

I don't think the original P5 had thermal throttling...?

--
Mike Smith
Old September 11th 06, 06:25 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Alex Johnson

Mike Smith wrote:
Alex Johnson wrote:

Neil Barras wrote:

Thanks, I probably will go with the P4. Another question has popped
up now: Can I run this CPU without a fan using a standard 478 HeatSink?

No pentium 4 family CPU can be run effectively without a fan. I
believe this is also true of Pentium III, Athlon, and descendants.
Basically every chip since the original Pentium. The chip _may_
actually run, but it will be in perpetual thermal throttling and may
shut down randomly to avoid burning up.

I don't think the original P5 had thermal throttling...?

--
Mike Smith

No, it didn't. Hence, it can't run effectively without a fan. It
overheats and breaks. I had an early 486 with a heatsink but no fan. I
never saw a Pentium without a fan.
Old September 11th 06, 08:21 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Neil Barras

Thanks all, I'm going to go for the P4. How will I know what type of ram
the chip requires? I've read the Williamettes require either RD, SD or DDR
RAM. Is there a code on the CPU itself that I can search online about?

Thanks again

Old September 12th 06, 03:11 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Alex Johnson

Neil Barras wrote:
Thanks all, I'm going to go for the P4. How will I know what type of ram
the chip requires? I've read the Williamettes require either RD, SD or DDR
RAM. Is there a code on the CPU itself that I can search online about?

Thanks again

The memory you require is dictated by the chipset you have, no the CPU
(unless you have an Athlon 64 or Opteron). intel CPUs don't care about
memory type.

Alex