Any Dell's To Stay Away From

Old November 21st 05, 06:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Any Dell's To Stay Away From

I'm looking for a new computer. Would like a Dell. I'm not interested
in spending over $1,000 Would like to spend around $500-$700. Don't need
anything special. Just something to email, play online chess and poker,
store pictures and music.

Are there any Dells that would be right up my ally? Are there any Dell
computers to say away from?

Thanks!

Old November 21st 05, 06:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

right now, the best deal highly recommended on sale is dimension 5150
with 19in screen flat panel, about $600 after $100 rebate.
this is 3.0 p4 processor, 80 hd, cdrw/dvd combo, 256mb mem.
incrase mem to 512mb for $40 if you want. but you can always do it later
if your needs increase.
i've bought tons of these and they are great.
this is the minimum configuration (and model) that i would get from dell
right now.

Old November 21st 05, 06:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Von Fourche,
What ever you do if buying a new Dell, make sure that you order for $10.00 the OS CD, when you make your purchase.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

Old November 22nd 05, 01:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...3d51h4&s=b sd

I priced out one for you upping the memory to 512mb, adding the XP Home
backup CD, a modem if you will use dial up and adding basic speakers it was
$769 minus $100 rebate = $669. But I have seen those cheap 19 inch flat
panel monitors, and they dont look so great. Throw in another $80 to upgrade
to a 1905fp Ultrasharp flat panel monitor. The whole time we use computers,
we are staring at the monitor. Don't forget to move the dot in the circle to
get the free upgrade to the CD-RW/DVD Rom Combo Drive. Taking on another $20
would get you speakers that come with a subwoofer. I have a subwoofer, and
the sound is much better than just the tinny sounding two small speakers.

Old November 22nd 05, 02:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Jay B" wrote in message
right now, the best deal highly recommended on sale is dimension 5150
with 19in screen flat panel, about $600 after $100 rebate.
this is 3.0 p4 processor, 80 hd, cdrw/dvd combo, 256mb mem.
incrase mem to 512mb for $40 if you want. but you can always do it later
if your needs increase.
i've bought tons of these and they are great.
this is the minimum configuration (and model) that i would get from dell
right now.

What's wrong with the Dimension B110? I get 512mb memory, 80 gb hard
drive, add $20 for a cd burner/dvd drive, 17 inch monitor, $20 for speakers,
total - $428.00 That is with a Celeron D 2.53 ghz processor.

Would that be better than what I already have? - Compaq Presario with
Pentium III 805 MHz, 128 mb total memory, 40GB hard drive, DVD rom drive,
CD-RW drive. I paid a fortune for this computer five years ago. This year,
I don't want to pay a fortune. I want to pay under $800

Would the Dell B110 with the Celeron 2.53 ghz be faster than my Pentium
III 805 MHz?

Are there any negatives to getting a computer with a Celeron instead of
Pentium?

Again, I'm not looking to play high intensive video games. Only like to
download music, store pictures, play simple games like chess and poker, serf
the net and e-mail. I suppose the most intensive programs I use are stock
analyzer programs.

Old November 22nd 05, 03:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

i would not get that system.
it is not as good as a 5150 for just a little bit more money.
the 5150 could be purchased for as low as $500 with a 17in flat panel
and a 3.0 proc. the deffierence is usually only $50 between 5150 and
lower models. the improvement is faster memory, faster/better harddrive,
better moetherboard, better case, better expansion, etc.
its a nice and day diff from celeron for just a few more bucks.

Old November 22nd 05, 10:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Video memory is integrated and it's a Celeron. For the small $$ you get a
better system.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Von Fourche" wrote in message
.net...

Old November 22nd 05, 12:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Hank Arnold" wrote in message
Video memory is integrated and it's a Celeron. For the small $$ you get a
better system.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

No Celerons. Be sure to have a graphics card option should you wish to
upgrade down the road.

Stew

Old November 22nd 05, 11:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Jay, Is this Dimension '5150' the same as what IM seeing called the
'Dimensino E510'? On their site now, I dont see any product referred to as
a '5150'.

Also, in looking at all of these Dimenion E510s, Im looking at their
description of their Video card, and all but the most expensive describe it
as:

"Video Card Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelator 950 "

Only on the 'Enhanced Entertainment' configuration do I see a Graphics card
described as,

"Video Card 128MB PCI ExpressT x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE
HyperMemory "

Does that mean that unless you opt for the top of the group 'Enhanced'
model, you get a video chipset integrated on the motherboard, instead of a
name brand graphics processor up to the better games? Even if you get a
discrete card in a pci E slot, hopefully, theres no description of the
amount of ram on the card, or width of the bus, or dvi vs vga ports, as you
do with the enhanced model.

Any idea what you really get when selecting the baser models?

Paul