Zalman 7000A copper cooler...disappointed?

Old March 15th 04, 05:46 AM
wasdiscovered

"Sydtech" wrote in message
"~misfit~" wrote in message

I'm wondering about your case temps. You can have the best cooler in the
world but it it's trying to dump heat into an already warm environment

it
ain't gonna do squat.

Right now, the case temp is reporting at 28C, and the CPU is reporting at
48C. I'm using Speedfan, and I've got the CPU fan set at 80% and the NB

fan
set at 35% - this seems to me to be an acceptable balance between noise

and
cooling.

The fan is a stock Antec Sonata, with a single case fan in the back. I've
got the cables arranged neatly out of the way so they're not getting in

the
way of the airflow.

At this point, I'm suspecting that maybe the Abit IC7-G is reporting
temperatures that are higher than they actually are...after googling

around
a bit based on j's post, this does seem to be a problem with this

particular
moboard.

I also saw another post somewhere suggesting that the Zalman needs to be
installed in a specific orientation - that it's possible to install it
flipped around the wrong way, causing it to sit off-center of the CPU.

Based
on what I've seen, I'm not sure this is true.

There's only one way to find out, but I'm waffling over whether I want to
yank the Zalman out, clean it off and reapply the Arctic Silver, and
reinstall. This process was such an enormous pain in the ass the first

time
that I really don't relish the thought...

j didn't realize he was j untill after he posted. He now believes that when
switching to his other comp he should verify exactly who he is before
posting. In any case
j will be heard from no more.

Looking at my Zalman ( though I can't examine it very close as this comp is
placed ) I don't see any way to put it on wrong. I believe if you set the
cpu and north bridge fans to 100% this will help to solve the problem. Maybe
I'm old fashioned but I see no purpose in those bios settings which reduce
fan speed other than to increase the likely hood of your comp over heating.
There are better options in the way of making a comp totaly silent then by
turning the fans down.

If I read you correctly you only have one case fan? not good.

As I stated previously If your board has the same problem as the IC7 Max3
then the reported temp is probably higher then the actual temp. I've used
three different boards on the exact same rig switching only the boards. The
boards being the gigabyte GA 8KNXP, asus P4C 800-E Deluxe and the abit IC7
Max3. The IC7 Max3 reports temps that are 10c higher then the other two
boards. The Max3 is not the only abit board reporting temps wrong. I can't
say for sure that your board is one of them but it probably is. Also how
much the reading might be off might depend on how a particular setup is
configured.

As far as I understand abits position on this they seem to believe that the
calculations they use to produce the temp reading is in fact the correct way
of calculating the temp. This of course could be correct I personaly do not
know. I do know however that if there method is correct it would mean that
other board makers are doing it the wrong way. Many of us abit users do not
believe that this is the case.

Old March 15th 04, 08:56 AM
ElJerid

"Max" wrote in message

"ElJerid" wrote in message
Conclusion is in fact that the stock Intel cooler is not so bad !
There is a lot of marketing and advertising about all kind of esoteric
coolers, but best of them will not decrease the cpu temp by more than 3
5°C compared to the original boxed Intel. And it's always a trade off:

you
have to make a choice between noise or cooling (with all steps between).

Bull****.

I have an Aero Iv and it knocked 9°C off.Its quiet too so stick tht in ya
pipe

Thanks for the bull****.
But I tested different Aero models thouroughly in my system. I had been
disappointed with the average performance of the Aero 4, so I ordered the
top model Aero 7 - 478 (not socket 478!). This is an Aero 7 with heatpipes,
which was not available in Europe and had to come from Japan. Tested in
exactly the same circumstances as the stock Intel and measured with Asus
Probe, the results were as follows (for an ambient temp of 20°C):
Idle mode:
Intel: 29°C, Aero at 60%: 29°C, Aero at 100%: 28°C
Stressed:
Intel: 43°C, Aero at 60%: 42°C, Aero at 100%: 38°C
I've tested many coolers, and this last figure is the best I got with
"off-the-shelf" coolers. However, at 100% rpm, the Aero is very loud, and
that's why I finally decided to switch to a home-made assembly (ThermalRight
CU cooler with papst 120 cm fan). In stressed mode, I get only 2 °C better
than the Aero at 100% rpm, but it's really quiet!

Old March 15th 04, 10:35 AM
David Maynard

Sydtech wrote:

"David Maynard" wrote in message

j wrote:

Why they put a low speed on that thing I don't know. You might actually

get

better temps with the stock cooler than running at low speed.

They do it for lower noise as not everyone is seeking "better temps."

Exactly. I'm not interested in having the absolute lowest temperature
possible; I just want a semi-quiet machine without cooking the CPU or
chipset in the process...the stock CPU and (especially) the Northbridge fan
on that IC7-G were just screaming in my ear. The combination of the Zalman
and Speedfan are alleviating that somewhat...although I'm still not sure
whether my lackluster results from the Zalman are a result of an imperfect
install or the motherboard misreporting the temperatures....

I wish I could help you but that kind of thing really needs the ability
to look see.

Old March 15th 04, 04:44 PM
Max

"ElJerid" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message

"ElJerid" wrote in message
[...]

You dirty lying *******.

NO aero 7's fit on intel chips.

The numbering is simple : Aero 4 for P4's

Aero 7's For amd k7's, Ie athlon XP.

SO just to clarify you have never bought a turbo charged, super Duper, heat
pipe modified, go faster stripe painted Aero 7 for an Intel chip have you,
in future get you facts straight you half witted pillock.

Now if you stopped wasting your money on the "many off the shelf coolers"
that you CLAIM to have bought, and padded your case with some decent Baffle
material then sound wouldn.t be an issue would it.

You really are a complete fool; please don't waste my time again..

max

Ps

( to other post, yes I do have a good airflow)

Old March 16th 04, 12:54 AM
~misfit~

Max wrote:
( to other post, yes I do have a good airflow)

Cool.
--
~misfit~

Old March 16th 04, 07:16 AM
Michael Brown

Max wrote:
ElJerid wrote:
Max wrote:
ElJerid wrote:
Conclusion is in fact that the stock Intel cooler is not so bad !
There is a lot of marketing and advertising about all kind of
esoteric coolers, but best of them will not decrease the cpu temp
by more than 3
5°C compared to the original boxed Intel. And it's always a trade
off: you have to make a choice between noise or cooling (with all
steps between).

I have an Aero Iv and it knocked 9°C off. Its quiet too

I tested different Aero models thouroughly in my system. I had
been disappointed with the average performance of the Aero 4, so I
ordered the top model Aero 7 - 478 (not socket 478!). This is an
Aero 7 with heatpipes

[...]
Tested
in exactly the same circumstances as the stock Intel and measured
with Asus Probe, the results were as follows (for an ambient temp of
20°C):
Idle mode:
Intel: 29°C, Aero at 60%: 29°C, Aero at 100%: 28°C
Stressed:
Intel: 43°C, Aero at 60%: 42°C, Aero at 100%: 38°C
I've tested many coolers, and this last figure is the best I got with
"off-the-shelf" coolers. However, at 100% rpm, the Aero is very
loud, and that's why I finally decided to switch to a home-made
assembly (ThermalRight
CU cooler with papst 120 cm fan). In stressed mode, I get only 2 °C
better than the Aero at 100% rpm, but it's really quiet!

NO aero 7's fit on intel chips.

The numbering is simple : Aero 4 for P4's

Aero 7's For amd k7's, Ie athlon XP.

I think what he was referring to was the Aero 478 (he said "Aero 7 - 478"
for some reason). This is a P4 heatsink with heatpipes, etc, and looks
pretty much the same as the Aero 7/4 (which look exactly the same anyhow),
except it's got heatpipes

It's also called a Aero 7-478 at
http://www.hardwareportal.ru/Newsarchive/June.2003/

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old March 16th 04, 08:02 AM
ElJerid

"Michael Brown" wrote in message
Max wrote:
ElJerid wrote:
Max wrote:
ElJerid wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your support, Michael. At least someone reading the details of
messages and doing the effort of searching web documentation, instead of
posting agressive injuries.

Old March 16th 04, 08:06 AM
ElJerid

"Max" wrote in message

"ElJerid" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message

"ElJerid" wrote in message
[...]

Hello Max,
Hope after reading the post (and link) of Michael Brown, you will waste one
more minute to apologize...

Old March 16th 04, 04:39 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

CPU temperature is dependent on several factors:
o Heatsink performance re oC/W
o Fan CFM and that realised over the heatsink surface area
o Limiting the recirculation of heated air over the heatsink
---- which is a system-level issue

I suspect the latter may be a factor in your readings.
Additionally, recent Intel heatsinks are not bad - they are well
engineered for their end-price in terms of Flotherm/CFD/FEA.
Noise isn't so great on the Xeons, but that's more re 60mm/2U.

Heatsinks fall into 2 types:
o Impingement -- fan blows down to impinge on fins on a flat plate
---- higher airflow recirculation 40-70%
---- eg, SLK - but uses heatpipes to speed heat-transfer from the CPU
o Blow-thro -- fan blows air along fins - straight thro v 90-degree
---- lower airflow recirculation 20-30%

In reality recirculation also depends on the *system*.
o If your exhaust fans aren't removing CPU heat fast enough
o So *any* heatsink will recirculate correspondingly more hot air

Hence AMD-certified-PSU put their intake near the CPU cooler :-)

If your CPU/System cause the heatsink/fan to recirculate 50% of the
airflow then whilst 15cfm is enough for CPU watts, you need 30cfm.

To ensure good thro-case airflow:
o Cases with slotted/punched exhaust fan grills restrict airflow
---- 80-85% of all case airflow resistance is from PSU/Exhaust fan grills
---- replacing them with round-wire grills drops the figure to 14-16%
o Exhaust fan on the case near the CPU
---- exhausting hot air from the CPU-cooler before it can be recirculated

So there are many factors to consider.

There's a simple check you can do:
o Identify your baseline HSF oC/W at the fan cfm you have
---- eg, 0.25oC/W
o Identify your ambient temperature near the CPU fan
---- more difficult, chipset board temp isn't very accurate
o Identify your thermal CPU output
---- easier to do with 100% CPU load, ie, P4-3.06-HT-533 is 75W
o From this work out your *realised* temp-rise per wattage
---- CPU-temp less Ambient-temp / CPU wattage
---- eg, 0.4oC/W

That gives you an idea of how much hot air is being recirculated in
*your* implementation of the HSF in the case/intake/exhaust system.

Personally I would say the Zalman flower are for absolute low-noise
at economical price, and the SLK are for absolute overclocking at a
higher price - mainly by virtue of the heatpipe technology they also use.

BTX will introduce fanless heatsinks with blow-thro cooling, altho I
expect PSU & Case fans to be as if not more important due to the
eventual ramp in yet higher graphics card outputs, RAM speeds &
outputs (30W), VRM outputs (for both CPU *and* RAM) etc.

Intel heatsinks aren't particularly bad - altho Prescott produces a
very high thermal output which stresses 1) heatsink and 2) chassis.

The importance of chassis airflow is very apparent with Prescott:
o The CPU is 103W, so ran (very) hot with heatsinks 60-65oC
o The motherboard CPU VRM capacitors ran 235F
---- that is above common 105oC & even mil 125oC specs
o Of course the motherboard was in free air :-)
---- so illustrating how important chassis cooling will become

Important to consider PC cooling as a system as watts rise.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for fans, books & other items

Old March 16th 04, 06:08 PM
Max

Max wrote:
ElJerid wrote:
Max wrote:
ElJerid wrote:
[...]

Sop being an arse, the fool clearly said "Aero 7-478 (not socket 478!)"

Coolermaster make no such heat sink.

If the ass doesnt even know that Im hardly going o beleive any of his other
lies.

Now stfu

max