Mighty Putty

Old February 12th 09, 12:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

Default Mighty Putty

Saw it in this month's issue of Popular Mechanics. Is it for export?
Could I buy it from Hong KOng?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.2) Linux 2.6.28.4
Old February 12th 09, 03:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_2_]

"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote in message

Saw it in this month's issue of Popular Mechanics. Is it for export? Could
I buy it from Hong KOng?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.2) Linux 2.6.28.4
^ ^ 20:08:01 up 5 days 1:03 2 users load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00
???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ???! ????? (CSSA):

Most likely you can get something like it in Hong Kong. Basically it is a
two part epoxy in putty format. Mix the two differing colored putty by hand
to activate it.

I have been purchasing a similar product at my local plumbing supply house
for over 10 years.

Old February 12th 09, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

Saw it in this month's issue of Popular Mechanics. Is it for export?
Could I buy it from Hong KOng?

Registrant for the mightyputty.com domain is located in Texas, USA.
Since sales tax applies for purchases in Pennsylvania, my bet is that is
where their corporation is registered.

Their web site says, "Not able to process orders outside the continental
U.S. (no orders from Canada, AK, HI, PR, VI & Guam)". You'll need to
find an importer or one of their sales affiliates that handles Hong Kong
(which you omitted to mention is where you are, not just that you want
to buy from there). Or just find a similar epoxy putty product
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ong+kong%2 2).
Old February 13th 09, 02:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
david

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:09:38 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) rearranged
some electrons to say:

Saw it in this month's issue of Popular Mechanics. Is it for export?
Could I buy it from Hong KOng?

It's just a 2-part epoxy. It's nothing special.
Old February 13th 09, 02:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Painter

david wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:09:38 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)
rearranged some electrons to say:

Saw it in this month's issue of Popular Mechanics. Is it for export?
Could I buy it from Hong KOng?

It's just a 2-part epoxy. It's nothing special.

It has some advantages in some cases. You can handle and form it around
objects a lot easier than the more liquid kind.

Old February 13th 09, 03:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Mike Painter wrote:

david wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:09:38 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)
rearranged some electrons to say:

Saw it in this month's issue of Popular Mechanics. Is it for export?
Could I buy it from Hong KOng?

It's just a 2-part epoxy. It's nothing special.

It has some advantages in some cases. You can handle and form it around
objects a lot easier than the more liquid kind.

But it is NOT a special epoxy *putty*. There are other 2-part putty
bar/stick products, some of which are better designed for specific uses
rather than a brand that tries to claim use with all materials, and some
that even cure underwater. MightPutty happens to put on TV ads and make
all sorts of claims (that they never have to honor because, gee, it must
be an error in the user's application, preparation, or handling).

6 tubes (which they overtly omit their size in ounces) of Mighty Putty
cost $20 (plus shipping & handling charges) if you buy from their site.
That's $3.33 per tube. Just don't expect putty to have the same
adhesion strength as liquid or gel.
Old February 13th 09, 03:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

It has some advantages in some cases. You can handle and form it around
objects a lot easier than the more liquid kind.

That's what interested me! I could mold it!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.2) Linux 2.6.28.4
^ ^ 11:53:01 up 5 days 16:48 2 users load average: 1.02 1.02 1.00
¤£*ɶU! ¤£¶BÄF! ¤£´©¥æ! ¤£¥´¥æ! ¤£¥´§T! ¤£¦Û±þ! ½Ð¦Ò¼{ºî´© (CSSA):
Old February 13th 09, 06:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Marty[_4_]

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:53:47 +0800, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

It has some advantages in some cases. You can handle and form it around
objects a lot easier than the more liquid kind.

That's what interested me! I could mold it!

I have never heard of the brand you mention, but you can get this kind of
epoxy at most auto parts shops, marine supplies shops. A few years ago
the plastic bonnet release handle on a mate's car broke so we moulded a
new one with epoxy, right down to the finger grips. I think it was
stronger than the original handle.
Old February 13th 09, 08:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob Fry

As others have said, check with an auto-supply shop there in HK. If
you still cannot find something similar then mix a dry thickening
powder with normal two-part epoxy. The powder can be any inert
substance, again, your auto-supply store should have glass
micro-balloons or similar.
--
Religion is the end of love and honesty, the beginning of confusion;
faith is a colorful hope or fear, the origin of folly.